Tensions

Arkham University, San Angeles, Pennsylvania

Doctor Andrew Hartford sat at his desk absentmindedly holding a small figurine of an astronaut between his thumb and index finger and a pen between his teeth. Upon hearing the sound of someone entering his office he turned in his chair and saw a man of Japanese descent looking about.

"Can I help you?"

No response. The man simply continued examining the office and the objects and papers scattered all about.

"You know, if you want an appointment my office hours are 9-5." He said.

"Please Doctor Hartford." Came a gravely voice from the opposite side of the room. Nathan turned his head and saw a man he recognized all too well standing up and holding a copy of his horrible-selling book about the Hollow Earth.

"Guys like us don't do normal hours, do we?" The man asked while putting the book down on the desk.

"I've been fixated on the Hollow Earth as long as you have. Maybe longer. Your theory that it's the birthplace of all Titans is fascinating." The man continued.

"Your book was very impressive." Said the Japanese man.

"Oh yeah? Well I got about 30 unsold boxes in my apartment. You can have a few if you'd like." Doctor Hartford replied.

"Walter Simmons," said the gravely voiced man while extending a hand for a shake.

Andrew shook his hand and pointed at him. "I know who you are, sir. It's an honor."

"No, the honor is mine. As is the urgency. Godzilla has never attacked us unprovoked before." Simmons said.

"Yeah. I saw the news broadcasts." Doctor Hartford replied.

"These are dangerous times, Doctor Hartford. Allow me to introduce our Apex Chief Technology Officer, mister Ren Serizawa." Simmons continued.

"Whoa, wait, wait, wait. Serizawa?" Doctor Hartford asked.

The corner of Ren's cheek twitched as he nodded a few times.

"So then that means he's-" Doctor Hartford began.

"Yes. Doctor Hartford. He is the son of the famous Doctor Ishiro Serizawa. But that's not important right now. What is important is what we do about the threat that Godzilla now poses to humanity. And my colleague has something very interesting to show you."

Ren placed a thick tablet-looking device on the table and tapped the corner. It came to life with blue light around the exterior and through the center before projecting an image of the Earth with a series of snake-like tunnels leading towards a central sphere hundreds of miles into the planet's core.

"Magnetic imaging from one of our new satellites." Simmons began. "And you know what this is, don't you Doctor Hartford?"

"The Hollow Earth." Doctor Hartford replied.

"En ecosystem as vast as any ocean. Right beneath our feet."

Doctor Hartford focused on a particular part of the projection and his jaw dropped.

"That energy signal is enormous." He said, observing the energy readings as being in the hundreds of Giga Watt Hours.

"And almost identical to the readings from Gojira." Ren said with a particular emphasis on "Gojira" that contained a subtle hint of disdain.

"This energy sustains the Hollow Earth, Doctor Hartford. And it's what we believe allows for the conception of life forms as powerful as our aggressive Titan friend." Simmons continued.