Stillness

There was a stillness she hadn't felt in a long time.

A peace.

Deez finds herself smiling as Gil corrects Daniel's hold on the knife in his hand, showing the smaller boy how to gently carve away bits of wood.

The kid was fascinated.

It was adorable to see Gil demonstrate such gentleness.

"See. Ya don't have ta be all hard with it. Ya just see what's already there and take away the extra bits."

She snorts at Daniel's less than happy response.

"Yeah, it took me ah long time ta get it right, too."

She nods as she continues to write.

There was a stillness all around her, like the whole world was taking a breath.

If only she could bring the feeling inside her, instead of feeling as if she were on the outside looking in.

Out of place.

Out of step.

She couldn't find the right way to explain it.

And even if she could-

She sighs as she shoves the notebook away and carefully pushes herself to her feet, fighting to keep her breath even despite the strain she could feel on her back and abdomen.

Humans could be held together by string.

She'd never really thought about it before, just accepted that it was something that could stop bleeding and help an injury heal.

But now that it was her being held together by string?

One wrong move.

One twist too far.

Her fingers twist around the tips of her hair.

How did they do this?

How did T get shot and then go into another camp?

Her burning lungs catch her off guard.

"Treasure?"

She sucks in a gulp of air before she turns, surprised to find Gil had already crossed the room to her side.

"Sorry, I just, started thinking and, at some point, stopped breathing?"

Gil frowns as he brushes stray hairs behind her ear, "anything I can help ya with?"

She bites her lip as her eyes trace over the scars on his arm.

The scars that peeked out on his shoulders, leading under his vest to his back.

Did he feel strange like this every time he bled?

Her eyes drop to her hands.

"I'm just-" she squeezes her hands into fists, "adjusting, I guess."

Adjusting to being more mortal now that Mim broke her.

Gil frowns as he watches her for a moment, "that's fair," he sighs. "You've been through a lot, Treasure."

"We all have."

"I think," Gil kisses the top of her head, "ya may've taken the brunt of it."

The brunt?

Surely that was Uma?

Or T and Faustina.

She shakes her head before she forces a smile on her lips, "but we made it. We're all here, and now we can start focusing on the next steps."