Eclipsed Expectations

The distant sound of Adelaide's violent hissing makes him grin.

He knew she'd be down for this.

He just wish he could be enjoying it with her-

"You have a job to do, Little Spider; later we can play."

Right, he nods as his grin widens.

He shakes his head before he turns back to Uma, waiting for her signal.

"Go!" She orders before they all take off running.

Beam, James, Deez, and Gil would be checking for food this time, leaving him, Uma, and Harry as rescuers while Addy played distraction.

It was different being on this side of it.

Not that he was complaining.

He loved scaring people, more than he would have thought-

What are you talking about? You've always loved traumatizing people through terror. Who are you lying to?

Or, are you simply that stupid that you've forgotten the glee you've garnered through the years for every time you've made someone curse your existence for startling them?

Or is it just pure ignorance of your own feelings? I'm dying to know.

I said I was sorry.

No. No you didn't. Not once, in any variation of the word or its sentiment, have you genuinely felt guilt for any action you have taken this eve.

What?

He scoffs, I taught D that fire can be healing-

Oh, is that what we call guilt-tripping now, teaching?

I mean, when you put it like that-

Which I do, so by all means go on.

I got Harriett promoted, I'm pretty sure-

Yes, by nearly forcing her into killing us, which-

Fucking Christ, is nothing ever good enough for you woman? You're the one who wants her to move up ranks-

Not by forcing her hand in our murder you idiot-God, how has no one actually killed you?

Huh.

That was...

Luck?

I hate you.

"Holy shit there's a lot here." Uma says when they clear the last building standing between them and the cages.

He stares.

There were a lot, because these cages were barely half the size of the ones they'd seen so far.

He'd missed it.

"They be forced ta be standin'," Harry grimaces.

He scowls.

T-

A pit drops in his stomach at her tone.

Great.

What?

The smell-

A shiver runs down his spine.

You're fucking with me, right?

Dear brother, do you think me so delicate and in cognizant that I would cry wolf at the slightest of unpleasant odors? This entire Isle has wreaked a miasma of insidious scents since the sky went black, yet I have bitten my tongue and choked silently. Something of which you have no concept, you whiny, insubordinate, little cretin.