68

Two days later, with Adara spending as much time as possible with Amiru, she and Cale got on the carriage. Witira had quickly warmed up to Adara, seeing as in the moments when Adara wasn't hanging out with Amiru, she was hanging out with Witira. During these moments, Adara showed no animosity and seemed to genuinely want to talk with Witira.

Of course, she still wasn't nice. She didn't seem at all deterred that Witira would be the future Whale Queen, and she talked with her the same way she would talk to someone of her own rank.

As soon as the carriage started moving, Cale and Adara closed the curtains. Cale turned to the cushions opposite them. "You can turn it off now."

The Whale siblings suddenly appeared on the cushions, and the Black Dragon from in between them also suddenly revealed himself. Paseton flinched, but Witira made direct eye contact with him. Adara noticed how her eyes had dilated.

The Black Dragon stared just as blankly back at Witira. "What are you looking at?"

"That fluctuation of mana on the shoreline," Witira said. "That was you."

The Black Dragon and Witira continued staring at each other. Adara thought something might happen if they continued in their stare-down. Whales were incredibly proud, but Dragons were even prouder. Either way, this would not go well.

Cale patted the Black Dragon's head while Adara petted his back. "Let's go home quietly," Cale said.

"Yes," Adara agreed. "I don't feel like walking all the way back."

The Black Dragon looked at Cale, looked at Adara, and closed his eyes, slowly falling asleep. The carriage was silent for the rest of the trip, except for the soft conversations between Adara and Witira so as not to wake up the sleeping dragon.

A few days later, their carriage arrived in Rain City in Henituse Territory. Both Cale and Adara were not happy with the welcome they received.

"Young Master Cale-nim! Young Mistress Adara-nim!"

"Oh! It's them!"

Adara almost frowned as the looked through the slightly open curtains. Had they all forgotten how they ran and froze whenever they would see her or Cale? Did they forget how she drank and how she laughed? It was odd.

"Young Master Silver Light! Young Mistress Silver Light!"

"Young Master and Mistress Shield-nim!

Adara frowned again. That was the same nickname Hilsman called her. Speaking of said Vice Captain, he was currently puffed up with pride and riding his horse next to their carriage. He was protecting them, for some reason, as there were no bandits in the city.

He slowed his horse and stood near the carriage window that Cale opened. "Young Master and Mistress, your heroic deeds have spread!" he laughed. "I think the names Young Master Silver Light and Young Mistress Silver Light are very cool. I am jealous, Young Master and Mistress."

Cale slammed the carriage window in his face.

"Young Master, there's no need to be embarrassed!" Vice Captain Hilsman said from beyond the closed window.

Adara only smiled at the Whale siblings. Her attention was taken when a furry silver face was shoved into her peripheral vision. On had been resting on her shoulder, and now she was patting Adara's cheek with one paw.

"Are we home?" On asked. Hong and the Black Dragon looked at her, awaiting the answer. On had jumped off her shoulder and was now in her lap, looking up at her with gold eyes.