49

Adara froze.

Why am I freezing?

It is so suspicious to freeze at that question.

Why am I still frozen?

Why won't my muscles respond to me?

Why are they... frozen?

"We are human?"Cale said, luckily, taking the attention to him.  As he had the Crown Prince's attention on him, he gave Adara an inconspicuous kick. She immediately relaxed.

He had an expression that seemed to not get why the Crown Prince was even asking that question. Adara mirrored his expression.

Alberu let out a sigh that they were probably not meant to hear. "Right, of course, you are both human." He pointed to the two before he pointed at himself, well, more like jabbed his finger into his chest. "You, you and I are all human."

Adara felt only slightly disappointed at how obvious he was making it. But then she remembered how closely they were related. Both of them did not have their mother, and both of them have— almost certainly— Dark Elf ancestry. But, where she let anger consume her and detach her from her other emotions, Alberu could not do that.

He was Crown Prince Alberu Crossman of the Roan Kingdom. The Heir to the Throne. Beloved by all citizens.

And she was Adara Thornwin. Some Count's Daughter from the edge of the Roan Kingdom. A Count who didn't even care about her.

The Black Dragon spoke up. 'That is a lie. He is not completely human.'

Adara suddenly got an idea. A memory of the Black Dragon telling her that she smelled like death. 'Can you tell me what he smells like?'

Cale glanced at her briefly, confusion written over his face, but then he looked back at the Crown Prince and controlled his expression.

'He smells like you, weak Half-Not-Human. Like death. But he also smells more human than you. And his disguise is better than yours,' the Black Dragon responded.

Well, Adara thought. That concludes that. He is probably a quarter Dark Elf or less than that.

Adara knew it was slightly suspicious she had not spoken up since he spoke his question. "Of course, we are all human. What else would we be?"

That caught Alberu in a trap. So he decided to change the conversation. "I thought I was mistaken at the Banquet Hall, but there are some weird smells around you."

"Smell?" Cale asked, horrified. "I just bathed."

Adara, ignoring Cale's hilarious attempt at redirecting Alberu's attention elsewhere, suddenly wondered what smell Alberu was talking about. It was clearly tied into his questions about them being human, but she could not see what smell had anything to do with it. Oh. The Dragon. He smells like a dragon. Him being around us... makes us smell like a dragon. Is that what he thought then? That we were dragons? Make up your mind, Alberu. Am I a Dark Elf or a dragon? I am certainly not both.

Alberu sighed again. Changing the topic of the conversation, he crossed his arms. "I don't think there's a need for people like the three of us to sugarcoat things. What do you two want as your reward?"

There was a reason he had come so late to them. Not only did he have to deal with the aftermath of what is already being called the Plaza Terror Incident, but he decided to do some looking into the files regarding Cale Henituse and Adara Thornwin.

On Cale, there was not much.

[Famous in the North-East for being Trash.]

[Part of the infamous North-East Trash Duo, regarding Adara Thornwin.]