21

They were smiling bright smiles as they kicked down the rock tower without hesitation. The white rocks flew away from them, hitting the wall and ground with a loud clang.

The dragon, who had been watching them, stared at them as if they were crazy. However, he gasped as he saw what had emerged from the broken rock tower.

A pure white light floated from beneath the rock tower. The eerie noise Cale and Adara recognised from the Man-Eating Tree pulsated throughout the cave, she could feel the vibrations from under her feet. The light rushed to them, two light arrows flying through the sky. They reached their hands out to touch the light. As soon as they did, the light arrows shot towards their hearts like arrows. The light arrow pierced their hearts before flashing and disappearing.

They let out deep breaths. Almost instinctively, they unbuttoned their shirts to see the fancy tattoo shield. Now, inside the shield was a heart pattern. "How cute," she muttered, staring at the silver tattoo inscribed across her heart.

She could immediately feel something new in her body, a new vigour. It filled up her heart and made her chest fuller. She knew this new vigour would make the shield stronger, and would make her heal at much faster speeds than normal people. She could feel how strong the regenerative strength was and wondered just how far she could survive. If I got stabbed, she thought, her thoughts trailing off, I would survive. But if I got stabbed in the heart? Would I survive that? Her mind flashed with ways of testing that. But all those ideas fell as soon as she proposed them. I guess I'll just have to wait and see until an assassin comes. I might even let them stab me. A giddy smile came onto her face as she thought about the face an assassin would make upon seeing her come back from the supposed dead.

It should make the shield stronger, she thought, bringing forth the shield again. Cale did too so it seemed he had the same idea.

She cocked her head. Like the tattoo on her heart, the shield also had a heart pattern. It looked so ethereal she could not believe it was hers. It's mine... "The heart pattern looks better than the previous one," she murmured, her voice only a slight bit distant.

"It does," Cale's voice came.

She blinked, her shoulders momentarily slumping, realising she was disassociating. She had momentarily forgotten Cale was beside her. How could I forget? Gods, it's getting worse. She pulled the shield back into her heart, her shoulders back at their usual spot.

Cale, noticing the difference in her attitude and how she was trying to pretend she was back to normal, ignored it. There wasn't anything he could do, well nothing he knew that would help. Adara was hard to figure out. What he did know, however, was that her past hung over her head like a guillotine, threatening to come down and make her a head shorter. The blade seemed closer in some moments.

He turned to the dragon who was half-hidden in the pathway that led them here. Adara sent him a look that exposed her displeasure of having to deal with the small superior being. They walked to the dragon, who was pretending that nothing had happened and instead stared at the ceiling.

"You want to come with us?" they asked.

The Black Dragon looked up at them, before looking back down. "You two are so weak you need protection. But I do not like Humans. Not even Half-Humans," he added. He looked at them one last time, before turning invisible.

Adara snorted.

Cale had a small smile on his lips too. "What a fickle punk," he muttered.

She shrugged. "We're fickle too. We told the others to ignore but then we officially ask him if he wants to come with us."