34

Adara rolled her eyes. "Sure it is. You are always saying some shit like that even when I'm walking distance from you."

Sadie was the Head of the Poison Department. Adara knew her when she worked in Administration and promoted her, both because she was competent and because she wanted some roots stretching to the Poison Department as well. Also because none of the crazy people working in the Poison Department could be trusted to be in charge.

Sadie smiled, the action looking weird on her face. "Why are you saying it like that? I mean it!" Her expression changed in a second and she now looked serious. "Of course, the screams in the North Wing are enough to fill up the whole Estate but—."

Adara kept herself from flinching. "Don't talk about that." One thing she never liked about Sadie despite her competence, was the fact she brought up stuff she knew Adara did not like to talk about to fuck with her. Another thing she didn't like was how fast her face could change emotions, but that was also just hypocrisy.

Sadie frowned innocently. "Why not? It's not like they're here."

"No. But I am."

"But you would never tell them."

"Still. It is unpleasant to hear," she said, glaring at her.

She watched Sadie swallow. One thing that made her still keep Sadie around— again, despite her competence— was the fact she was slightly scared of Adara.

"If you say so," Sadie said, looking away from Adara.

Count Devon, Countess Louise, and her brother, Mikhail, all lived in the North Wing. There were whispers all over the Estate of rumoured screams coming from the North Wing. Nobody knew who screamed, or who was getting screamed at, but it was greatly rumoured to be Countess Louise to be the one doing the screaming. Though who she screamed at largely differed. Adara hated hearing these rumours.

"On the topic though—," Sadie started, looking again at Adara, but she was cut off.

"I don't want to hear it."

Sadie raised her hands in surrender, but she continued talking. "I'm not saying anything bad about either of them! I just thought you'd like to know."

Well, now I just need to hear what you have to say, don't I? she thought, annoyed. "Haaa, Saide, sometimes I wonder why I haven't hung up on you already."

Sadie nodded. "Truly a mystery of the highest calibre. Onto your unfortunate family members. I'm sure you've been informed already, but do you know how your stepbrother told the Abandoned Son of Marquis Stan and his companion that they can stay in your room?"

Adara nodded, her nails digging into her palm.

"I overheard the Countess telling him to do it." Sadie watched Adara's face. It didn't change.

Adara wasn't surprised. Not in the slightest. Or at least she didn't show it. She knew Countess Louise wished to control the County through her brother to some extent, but she didn't quite expect the Countess to have told him to disrespect her. The disrespect he served her time and time again wasn't why she hated her brother. No, it was because he tried to kill her when they were younger and because the evidence from past experiences proved he was most likely still trying to do it. "Is that it?"

Sadie shook her head, slightly disappointed she didn't catch Adara off guard. Her face is like a cold statue. Beautiful but cold. "I couldn't stay for too long since I needed to check up on Matt— since he ended up getting sick again— but from what I overheard, your stepbrother was worried it would be disrespectful."