64 ~ Sixty-Four

[T]he hand-to-hand combat training session with Maki had been grueling, yet you couldn't deny the slow but steady progress you were making.

As you stepped out of the evening shower wrapped in nothing more than a towel, the tension in your muscles remained, refusing to dissipate even in the soothing warmth of the water.

Suddenly, the vibration of your phone shattered the usual silence, nearly causing you to jump.

Your heavy steps carried you in its location and with slightly damp hands, you picked up the device resting on the bedside table, a sense of unease creeping over you.

Answering the call tentatively, you greeted with a hesitant "Hello?"

"Y/N?" A gravelly voice rasped from the other end, nearly sending a chill down your spine. "Hah... hah... can't believe you're the person... I'd call in such a situation... hah, but I guess it's just as they say, hm? ...Regretful memories do flash before one's eyes before death."

Confusion and concern clouded your thoughts as you listened, trying to make sense of the cryptic but messy message.

"S-senpai?" You ventured cautiously, a knot tightening in your stomach. You recalled giving him your number when he'd mentioned Kota a few days back, but—

"What's g-going on?"

"We went to investigate—" His words were punctuated by violent coughs, each one causing your brow to furrow.

"Tell me where you're at, I'll come to you," you pressed putting the call on speaker, as you hastily dried yourself off and began to dress.

Something was up. You could sense it.

"It's too late," he gasped, his labored breaths mirroring your growing panic.

"S-senpai?"

A surge of dread gripped your heart.

"Listen... Listen to me," he interjected urgently. "Kota. We... stumbled upon something. Shit."

"Send me your location," you demanded.

"No," he murmured weakly. "Too dangerous."

"I don't care," you insisted, your resolve hardening. "Send it to me now, or I swear I'll do something reckless."

"L-like what?" His voice wavered, uncertainty mingling with exhaustion.

"Like how I nearly jumped off that building for your sister," you retorted sharply.

There was a tense pause, the weight of the situation pressing down on you like a suffocating cloak.

"Ok, sent it to you," he finally relented, his voice heavy with resignation. "Don't come alone. And if, by the time you're here I'm..."

"Nothing's gonna happen."

"Listen to me, Y/N," he rasped heavily, his voice strained with urgency. "Don't investigate me or the boy. Don't."

"W-what do you mean—"

You were still speaking when a piercing shriek echoed through the phone, sending shivers down your spine and your skin crawled.

Just what was that?

"Shit, it found me," Shinji groaned, the fear evident in his quivering voice. And before the line went dead, he uttered one last plea, "They're looking for you. For god's sake, please stay... put—"

And with those chilling words, everything went silent, leaving you standing there, consumed by uncertainty.

***

"If there's one thing I've noticed," remarked the blonde-haired man, adjusting his glasses while dressed in his signature attire, "Overtime is shit."

Beside him stood Ijichi, frail and timid, visibly nervous about potentially facing Nanami Kento's irritation.

A certain white-haired figure suddenly popped up, waving from across the Torii gate. "Oh my, so grim," he commented with a smirk.

"What do you want, Satoru Gojo?" Nanami deadpanned at Gojo's arrival, while Ijichi's anxiety spiked.

Inwardly cursing, Ijichi knew he'd be in deep trouble for neglecting Gojo's errand.

"Oh, I'm not here for you," Gojo declared casually, taking a step forward. Then turning to the timid brunette man, he asked nonchalantly, "So, where's my Kikufuku? Hope you didn't forget some for Y/N, as well."

"Unfortunately, Nanami-san's situation seemed urgent. I-I'll get them for you once I've finished this task."

Ijichi stuttered his excuses, feeling the weight of Nanami's and Gojo's patience—or lack thereof—bearing down on him.

"Show me your head, Ijichi," Gojo demanded playfully, his expression carrying a hint of mischief.

He was known for his unpredictable nature, and this time too, this was gonna hurt.

Anticipating the impending flick, Ijichi reluctantly leaned forward, bracing himself for the sting.

But just as the sorcerer was about to execute his prank, your urgent call pierced through the tense atmosphere. "Kiyotaka-San!"

Your typically composed demeanor shattered as you rushed toward them, disheveled and breathless.

The men's attention simultaneously turned to you, sensing the urgency in your hurried footsteps.

"I-Is it possible to take me to Tokyo, real quick?" you pleaded, your voice strained with emotion.

"Y/N, you know you can't leave Jujutsu High unguarded," Nanami interjected, his tone firm but understanding. "One of us should accompany you."

"I-it's..." you struggled to speak, your breaths coming in ragged gasps. "Shinji. He's... he's in trouble."

Your desperation was palpable, your hands trembling as you fought to steady your breath.

Taking a step forward, you gripped tightly onto Ijichi's blazer, your fingers digging into the fabric in desperation.

"Please," you begged, tears welling in your eyes. "Take me to him. He's dying..."

"I-I'm sorry," Ijichi stammered, clearly flustered by the gravity of the situation. "But it's just as Nanami-san has said. I can't just take—"

As the truth of your situation hit you, you straightened yourself, tears glistening in your eyes as you turned to Gojo Satoru.

Your only remaining option.

In that moment, pride meant nothing. All that mattered was saving Shinji.

"Please," you implored softly, a tear tracing its path down your cheek. Swiftly, you wiped it away. "I need your help."

And that was all the white-haired sorcerer needed to hear.