42 ~ Forty-Two

[S]hifting her attention back to you, Shoko imbued some of her energy into one hand and placed it gently over your bleeding nose.

Instantly, the afflicted part began to heal, and a different kind of sensation washed through you, one you hadn't experienced before.

But now that you had reached some sort of awareness, it was like you could distinguish between them, curse energy specific to each sorcerer.

"Shoko," you called out flatly. "Let me absorb some of your energy."

Your request seemed to catch both Shoko and the white-haired sorcerer off guard.

Shoko paused in her healing, giving you a somewhat curious look. "What?"

"Let me absorb some of your curse energy," you repeated, somehow surprising everyone present, especially since you always complained about how painful it was.

"I heard you clearly. I'm asking why?" Shoko questioned.

"If I involuntarily absorb some of your curse energy, it... relieves the pain, slightly."

Shoko nodded pensively, about to respond, when Gojo intervened. "Hey, Shoko, let's give it a shot! What's the worst that could happen?"

"Okay. But you owe me one," Shoko replied firmly.

"Yes, ma'am," Gojo responded with a mock salute.

"So," Shoko turned back to you, "what do I do?"

"Just continue to use your... uh," you struggled for the right words.

"I think she means to say continue using your reverse curse technique," Gojo clarified.

"Okay," Shoko nodded, following Gojo's instructions. But nothing seemed to have an effect on you; you still looked spaced out.

"Raise it to beyond 5% of your energy output," Gojo advised, despite the skeptical look Shoko shot him. However, she complied, increasing her energy output as instructed.

Your latent disposition seemed to allow you to unknowingly draw on Shoko's energy, that was exceeding the intended limit of 5%.

Instantly, you felt a shift within you, the energy seeming to negate the effects of Gojo's cursed energy slightly, bringing clarity.

"I feel better," you said, gesturing for Shoko to stop. You appeared calm now, perhaps too calm. "What's with your cursed energy? It feels... different."

Shoko, unsure how to explain, turned to Gojo with a puzzled expression.

Gojo chuckled, offering an explanation instead. "Ah, see? Cursed energy equals negative. So negative plus negative equals positive. Looks like we're all just doing math here. And Shoko's reverse curse technique is one of the rarest abilities that manipulates positive energy to heal others."

You pondered his words, the concept of positive energy unfamiliar to you.

"Can I learn to use it?" you inquired.

"You can," Gojo admitted honestly. "But it's incredibly difficult to master. Not many sorcerers can wield reverse curse techniques. It all comes down to curse energy manipulation."

"Why can I sense it now? She used it on me before, didn't she?" you questioned.

"Mhm," Gojo nodded with his trademark smirk. "Because you've gained awareness. You're a fast learner, Y/N-chan."

Ignoring Gojo's banter, you focused on Shoko. "Thank you. It seems I'm always bothering you."

"No problem," she shrugged, fetching a damp towel to clean the blood from your hands and face.

Once cleaned up, you handed the towel back to Shoko, who disposed of it in the bin.

"Can I ask you to teach me?" you requested, catching Shoko off guard.

"What?" she exclaimed, surprised by your sudden request.

"Reverse cursed Technique," you clarified.

"Ah, well—" Shoko began, but Gojo interjected.

"Shoko isn't really great with teaching, you know. I'll teach you once we're done with your basic—"

"No need," you interrupted sharply, noticing how he was lounged casually with not a care in the world.

"Ah Y/N," he let out a mock weary sigh. "You're breaking my heart with that icy attitude of yours. And here I thought we were making progress."

Ignoring his teasing, you slid off the examination table.

"Oh, and what was that earlier? Y/N, admitting I'm pretty?" He flashed you a cocky grin. "You're too kind. But let's be real, who can resist this face—"

His teasing barely reached you as your mind seemed preoccupied with other thoughts, your steps purposeful as you headed for the door.

As you left, the door slammed shut behind you, abruptly halting Gojo Satoru's taunts and leaving both sorcerers dumbfounded.

"So you really were the cause of her bleeding nose, huh?" Shoko remarked after an awkward pause of processing what just happened before turning to Gojo.

"Yes, and no," Gojo shrugged.

"What's wrong with her? What did you do?" Shoko pressed, somehow unfazed.

"Nothing, I swear," Gojo replied, his blindfolded gaze fixed toward the door.

What just happened? Even he had no idea.