27 ~ Twenty-Seven

"Dude, you really need to read the room," Gojo quipped with a hint of sarcasm, though his tone suggested he wasn't entirely joking. "We were kinda in the middle of something here?"

Shinji's expression darkened as he vaguely glanced at Gojo before turning his attention to you. "Y/N, what brings you here?"

"Hah?" Gojo's smirk tightened as he observed the tension between you and Shinji.

Was this sorry excuse for a human looking down on him?

He had enough power to snuff out his lifeline, yet here he was, daring to challenge the strongest jujutsu sorcerer of this era and already monopolizing your attention. It only fueled Gojo Satoru's irritation further.

"We found the missing boy, Kota, was it?" you replied flatly.

Shinji's frustration was evident as he groaned, "You're doing this again, aren't you?"

"It's not what you—"

"Then what is it?" Shinji's voice grew angrier, resembling a wild animal on the verge of losing control.

Gojo's smirk remained in place, clearly enjoying the exchange.

"You know things always go south when you get involved," Shinji accused, his tone laced with frustration.

You couldn't tolerate his accusation any longer. "Senpai, you're crossing a line here, even for you," you warned, your tone firm. "Let's focus on the fact that we found the boy and he's safe. He'll need attention since he's been without proper nourishment for days, but he's okay. Can't you just trust me for once?"

This must've been the longest speech Gojo had heard from you since you two met.

It grated on him to witness you engaging with this non-sorcerer better than you had with any of them in days. Still, he couldn't deny that your conversation with Shinji had captured his interest.

"That's not it," Shinji insisted, refusing to yield. "You do realize your brother isn't here to protect you this time, huh?"

You sighed wearily, massaging your temple as the situation grew more complicated. Dealing with such intricacies was something you loathed.

"We could've avoided a catastrophe last time if you had just trusted me, senpai," you asserted, your frustration bubbling to the surface. "It wasn't my fault she died, and you know it. You can't just waltz back into my life after all these years, knowing exactly how hard I tried to save her, only to be blamed for her death."

"Y/N, I—" Shinji attempted to say something but you cut him off.

"No, shut it for once," you snapped, fixing him with a fierce glare. "How do you even sleep at night, knowing you could've done something but chose not to? And now, here we are, with you playing the blaming game once again. You're acting like a complete asshole right now, and you should know it."

"Look," Shinji sighed, as if attempting to calm his own temper. "I'm just worried about you, okay? Is it too much to ask for you to stay put?"

"It's not like I did it on purpose," you dismissed with a shrug, refusing to meet his gaze.

"I'm sorry," Shinji relented, finally apologizing. "I shouldn't have said any of that. I'm sorry for hurting you."

"What are you doing here anyway?" you inquired, your tone guarded.

"I told you I was a detective, remember?" Shinji chuckled, patting you on the head as he knelt down before you. "I was investigating this missing children case. Although we found the boy thanks to you, but the sister is—"

"Dead," you interjected sharply.

"H-how do you know that?" Shinji frowned, clearly taken aback.

"Just a hunch," you shrugged nonchalantly. "And they didn't go missing."

Both Gojo's and Shinji's interest piqued at your statement.

You sighed wearily before continuing, "They ran away from home because of their mother's abusive lover."

"W-wait, how exactly do you know that—"

"Okay, that's enough questions for today," Gojo interjected, cutting off any further inquiries. He seemed reluctant to let you reveal more about the world of Jujutsu sorcerers to a non-sorcerer like Shinji Watanabe.

"Don't ask any more questions and just trust me. Help the boy; his living conditions are not the best. Can I at least trust you with that?" you implored Shinji.

He seemed hesitant, conflicting emotions playing across his face, but he nodded nonetheless. "Okay."

Just then, a nurse called for your detective friend, interrupting the conversation.

"Can we have a few words with you, please?" the nurse requested politely.

"Sure, coming right up," Shinji replied, turning to you. "Don't do anything stupid, I'll be right back."

As Shinji walked away with the nurse, you were left in silence with Gojo Satoru.

"Okay, what was that?" Gojo whistled, leaning in closer to you.

"Gojo Satoru, don't you dare say anything," you warned sternly.

"Babe, I already told you to call me Satoru when it's just the two of us," he teased with his trademark cocky smirk.