56 ~ Fifty-Six

"So, did you tell her?" Principal Yaga queried his former student, taking a sip of his tea while eyeing the white-haired sorcerer lounging on the couch as if he owned the place.

"Not yet," Gojo Satoru confirmed coolly, his hands draped behind his head as he glanced upwards. "I'd rather hold off on that for now."

"That's not like you, Satoru."

"Well, I'm trying to dodge a potential emotional crisis here."

"What do you mean?"

"You must have noticed," the white-haired sorcerer leaned in, meeting his teacher's gaze from behind his signature blindfold. "Y/N isn't exactly the type to wear her heart on her sleeve. She's like a sponge, soaking up everyone else's negativity—"

"Like an empath?"

"Exactly," Gojo nodded. "That's what makes her vulnerable. I have a feeling she'll take the news of the boy's death pretty hard. The timing just isn't right yet."

"Since when did you care?"

"What do you mean?" Gojo's grin widened, mischief glinting in his blindfolded eye. "I'm just a nice guy, aren't I? Naturally, I care."

Principal Yaga raised a skeptical eyebrow, knowing it was futile to argue with Gojo on this front.

"I have my doubts about how she'll handle it when you finally let the cat out of the bag," Yaga remarked.

The white-haired sorcerer simply shrugged dismissively. "Doesn't really matter, does it? It's all for her own good in the end."

"Looks like you've got it all figured out," Principal Yaga pointed out, leaning back in his seat with a resigned sigh. "You always do, Satoru. But your plans tend to blow up in the face more often than not."

Gojo chuckled, his confidence bordering on arrogance. "Trust me, sensei. I've got this under control."

"Y/N might not react the way you anticipate though."

A flicker of sincerity flashed across Gojo's face, momentarily softening his expression. "I know. But I'll do whatever it takes to keep her safe, won't I?"

With that, the conversation ended, the younger sorcerer rising from his seat with a lazy stretch.

"Well, now that I've filled you in on everything, I'll go check on my little troublemakers."

"Does that include Y/N?"

Gojo paused, as if contemplating the question. "Ah, Y/N," he mused, a smirk playing on his lips. "Let's just say she's a different breed of trouble."

"What do you mean by tha—"

Gojo waved him off dismissively. "Guess you'll find out soon enough, Yaga Sensei."

With that, he cut off the conversation abruptly, eager to move on from the mundane and dive into the more intriguing aspects of his day.

As the Sorcerer sauntered out and through the building's hallways, the intricate yet ancient Japanese-like structures seemed to guide his steps effortlessly.

He reached your room and rapped on the door, but silence greeted him. With a casual push, he entered, finding the space deserted.

Shrugging off the empty room, Gojo continued his leisurely journey, passing through the now-deserted training grounds, then Shoko's office and laboratory.

Yet, a nagging feeling lingered in the back of his mind.

It wasn't long before he crossed paths with a certain blonde-haired who informed him of your whereabouts: the school library archive.

A sly smirk played at the corner of Gojo's lips as he altered his course, his curiosity piqued. With confident strides, he sauntered his way into the library.

There you were, completely absorbed in your studies, surrounded by towering stacks of books. Your focus was intense, flipping through pages and jotting down notes on a nearby notepad.

"Hey, Y/N. Fancy meeting you here!" Gojo's cheerful greeting broke the silence, causing you to momentarily glance up from your book, startled by his sudden appearance.

Undeterred by your initial indifference, Gojo casually pulled up a chair beside you, his trademark playful grin never faltering.

"Didn't expect to find you buried in books," he remarked with a hint of amusement in his tone.

You couldn't shake off the sense of foreboding that accompanied his mischievous smile as you returned to your studies, feeling his presence lingering beside you, electrifying the air.

His proximity was distracting, to say the least, especially when you were trying to master the intricacies of the reverse cursed technique.

"You know," Gojo's voice pierced through the silence once more, teasingly offering his assistance, "I could help you with that if you'd like."

You raised an eyebrow, torn between annoyance and curiosity. "And what makes you think I need your help?"

His grin widened, leaning in closer, his breath brushing against your ear. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's the way you're furrowing your brows in frustration or the way you keep sneaking glances at me when you think I'm not looking."

A blush crept up your cheeks at his boldness, but you refused to let him see how much he affected you.

"I don't need your distractions, Gojo Satoru," you retorted, annoyance seeping into your tone.

But the sorcerer chuckled softly, the sound sending a shiver down your spine. "Who said anything about distractions? Maybe I'm just here to offer my expertise."

Before you could protest further, Gojo reached out and gently tilted your chin up, his blindfolded eyes locking with yours in a way that made your heart race.

"Besides," he added in a husky whisper, "I think we both know there's more than just studying on your mind right now."

You swallowed hard, unable to deny the truth in his statement.