[Chapter 29 - A Distant Echo]

_____

"How's the leg holding up?" Rex entered the med bay to visit Lenora.

"Really well, actually. Siren did a pretty good job. At this rate I'll be ready to go for our next mission in an hour or two." 

"That's good to hear. By the way, I got a call from Tacky- Fives has been showing signs of improvement, he said something about rapid eye movement?" Rex took a seat beside Lenora.

"That's great! We'll have to go check on him as soon as we get back." Lenora beamed.

Rex placed a hand on Lenora's thigh- the uninjured one- and rubbed gently with his thumb. He placed a kiss on her temple. Unfortunately Kix interrupted the moment by stepping in to give Lenora the news on her leg. 

"You're clear to go Lena. Just try not to get shot again. I hate trying to give you pain meds- you always downplay your symptoms." 

"I'll try my best." Lenora said sarcastically, hopping off the bed and heading out the door with Rex in tow.

---

"Word is the general staff isn't completely behind this mission." Hunter observed as he, Rex, Lenora, and Anakin paced the hangar.

"I admit the idea that Echo is still alive is a long shot." Rex mused.

"I'm sure the Council will approve the mission." Anakin reassured- "Just remember the primary goal is to learn how the Separatists are predicting our strategy, whether it's Echo behind it or not." 

"Well, if you want my opinion, sounds like a trap, but me, Siren, and the boys will tag along anyway, if only to say 'I told you so'." Hunter added.

"Wow, great to know you care." Lenora said dryly, smiling nonetheless.

"Just make sure you're ready if we get the go ahead from General Kenobi." Anakin instructed. 

"If you're certain he'll approve of the mission, why wait? Let's get going." Rex pointed out.

"First, we have that thing to do." Anakin elbowed Rex.

"Er- what thing?"

"You know." Anakin shot him a look.

"W-we don't have time for that, sir." 

"Yes, we do." Anakin raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I'll just let you two sort this out. I'll be waiting on the ship with the rest of the team." Hunter raised a hand to step away.

"I'll come with." Lenora suggested- "You two have fun!" 

Hunter and Lenora walked towards the Marauder

"Do I want to know?" Hunter asked about the earlier interaction.

"Probably not." Lenora chuckled- Anakin never had been the most subtle person. 

"So, if you don't mind my asking; what's with you and the Captain? Isn't it a bit risky to be getting close at a time like this?" 

"Who said we were 'getting close'?" Lenora feigned offense.

"Oh- apologies, I didn't mean to assume." 

"I'm kidding." Lenora laughed- "And well, yeah I guess it is risky. But we knew the risks when we decided to take things further, and we've accepted them. Life's too short for us clones to be caught up in 'what might happen'." 

"That's a smart way of thinking. I respect that." Hunter smiled.

"So, if you don't mind my asking; what's with you and Siren?" Lenora joked.