[Chapter 20 - The Jedi Who Knew Too Much]

____

~~~~

The night sky was speckled with light as fireflies danced around, Lenora lay beneath them, sighing contentedly. From behind her she could hear someone approaching, the heavy but careful footsteps told her who it was before they came into her line of sight.

"Hey Captain." 

"You don't have to call me that." Rex sat down beside Lenora.

Lenora laughed. 

The two were relaxing after the events of the previous night, when they, along with Cut and Suu's family, had been attacked by a vicious group of commando droids. They figured they'd stay just one more night to help clean up the mess they'd left. 

"I'm serious Lenora."

Lenora sat up slightly, resting on her elbows- "You're not going soft on me are you Cap?" 

"Well, given all we've been through I figured we'd be on a first name basis by now." 

Lenora looked at Rex, realizing how close- both physically and emotionally- they had become. She sat up properly, gazing into his eyes- trying to gauge what he was thinking. 

"Nora." 

"What?" Rex's face scrunched up in confusion.

"You can call me Nora if you'd like."

"Alright, I will." 

The pair sat in silence for a while, watching the fireflies above. Both debated making a move, but were far too scared to try anything. What if the other wasn't interested? What if they were, but they didn't want to risk the stress of having a relationship in the GAR?

Eventually, Rex decided he was fed up.

Ever so gently, he moved his hand to rest atop of Lenora's. Gazing into her eyes, he tried his best to find the words to describe his endless amazement with the girl, but failed. He almost panicked, but Lenora comfortably slid her hand into his. 

After a while, Lenora's eyes began to droop. Rex placed a concerned hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

"Just tired, I might lay down for a bit again if that's alright." 

"By all means, go ahead." 

But nothing could prepare Rex for what happened next. Lenora lay her head to rest on Rex's thigh. Sighing contentedly, she made herself comfortable, and her eyes began to flutter closed. Rex sat stock-still, frozen in shock. He eventually recovered, placing a hand on her head, stroking her soft hair absent-mindedly.

Lenora could have sworn that the last thing she heard as she driffted off, was a faint mumble of- "Jate ca ner kar'ta..." 

~~~~

Lenora awoke entangled in the arms of her partner. She tried to roll over, but was halted by a tight squeeze and a sleepy grumble.

"I have to get up ner kar'ta, Kix and I need to renew everyone's vaccines today."

"Mmmf." Rex huffed in disapproval, drawing Lenora in closer.

Rex proceeded to place kisses from the top of Lenora's head, running down to her neck. Lenora traced circles on the back of his head.

"Maker I wish we could just stay like this forever." Lenora sighed. 

"I wish we didn't have to age so fast- I don't want to be stuck spending half a lifetime with you instead of a full one."