⁸ˣ⁰⁹. ᵈᵃʳᵏ ʷᵃˢ ᵗʰᵉ ⁿⁱᵍʰᵗ

season eight, episode nine

Alison wrote on her patient's discharge papers, "I want to see you for a follow up next week, and listen, I know Drew is a kid with a lot of energy, but we just out in a bunch of screws in your back, so you gotta take it easy for a few weeks

Alison wrote on her patient's discharge papers, "I want to see you for a follow up next week, and listen, I know Drew is a kid with a lot of energy, but we just out in a bunch of screws in your back, so you gotta take it easy for a few weeks." She admitted to her patient, "And I am not kidding about physical therapy. You're gonna need all the support you can get to keep up with—that little one." Alison admitted with a smile.

"I'm gonna do it. I really am." Her patient said back to her when Alison spun around seeing the way her patient's face was, "You feeling ok? I still kinda like the idea of keeping you here another day."

Her patient shook her head, "No, it's been three days. You know, it's hard on Drew. He needs his mom." Alison half smiled, "I just want to get home." Her patient said as her husband and son came into the room, "Mommy!"

Laura smiled at her son, "Hey, sweetheart!" Drew's father watched as his son got closer to his mommy, "Hey, careful with Mommy, ok?"

"Ah, no bending." Alison said when seeing Laura slightly bending, "Oh, I missed you so much." Laura said to her son after kissing her husband, who smiled, "You alright?" Alison asked again.

Laura nods her head, "Yeah, just stitches." Aliaon hummed when she then looked to Laura's son, "Hey, Drew." The little boy looked at her, "I am gonna need you to be really gentle with mommy for a few days, ok?"

"Ok." Drew said as a smile came onto Alison's lips, "Alright, ok." She high fived the little boy before looking at the couple, "Call me if you need anything, ok?" Laura nods her head, "We will." She exited the room with a smile on her face.

____

"Page Dr Thomas!"

Alison came rushing into the trauma room when seeing Laura in the room, "What the hell happened?" She said when seeing her patient on the bed, "That's what I was gonna ask you. She's in shock and, it looks like her pericardium's full of blood." Owen Hunt claimed when looking at the Orthopaedic surgeon, "She's just spinal surgery. Wh-why would she—"

"I was hoping you would answer that." Owen said directing his comment at her, "She's arresting." April said when hearing the machine beeping erratically, "You're gonna crack her chest? She's not a trauma."

"Yes, but she's dying." Owen said as Alison was wide eyed at his words when the trauma surgeon started to open Laura's chest open. Alison had her hands on her hips watching Owen working on her patient, "What the hell is happening?"

She mumbled to herself when seeing the ultra sound, "What do we got?" Teddy said when coming into the room, as her and Owen spoke as Alison's eyes was on the ultrasound, "Tons of clots."

"Gunshot?"

"No, no—" Alison shook her head, "She had spinal fusion three days ago." The orthopaedic surgeon admitted, "What?" Teddy asked as Alisom looked at the machine, "She has no history of heart disease or risk factors. This is crazy."

"Could it be a retrograde dissection?"

April asked as Alison looked at the machine, "No, I don't think so. She has no history of Marfan's or aortic widening on X-Ray."  The chief of Orthopaedic surgery admitted, "Oh, her heart's beating again." April said when looking at the machine seeing Laura's heart beating again.

"All right, let's get her upstairs now." Teddy ordered them, "Throw a sterile towel on her and move." Teddy then looked at Alison, "I don't need you in there, you're good."

"She's my patient." Alison fired back, "Did you cut her heart open in your spinal fusion?" Alison shook her head, "No." The women claimed as Teddy looked at the surgeon, "Then she's my patient." Teddy said as Alison clenched her jaw.

____

"I'm kind of in the middle of a surgery."

Jackson Avery stated when he came out to where Alisom Thomas stood in her navy scrubs with her arms crossed over her chest, "No, here's what you're in the middle of. The surgery on Laura Lewis, where I supervised you inserting pedicel screws and a plate to stabilise t-6 to t-8?"

"Yeah?" Jackson said.

Alison looked at the green eyed resident, "One of them's stabbing her in the heart. She's half dead, and we're about to go and tell her husband." Alison admitted to the resident, walking past Jackson who stared at the chief of Orthopaedic surgery. 

____

Alison looked at Laura's husband, "Apparently, one of the screws we placed in her spine came loose to hold the screw. But at this point, we don't know." Laura's husband looked at them, "Ok, so what, it just, and so the screw, it-it cut into her heart?"

"Dr Altman's repairing her heart right now, and she's an incredible surgeon." Alison stated when looking at Laura's husband, "But, uh, we won't know for a while exactly what the situation is."

The man looked in between Dr Thomas and Jackson Avery, "Situation? I, but I—I don't understand." The man admitted as Drew looked up at them from where he was colouring, "Where's my mama?"

"Oh, buddy." The man lifted his son up, "Buddy, come here." Alison looked at Jackson who looked down as Alison moved her head to the side, walking away when she saw that the man needed some time alone with his son.

"Find all the films." Alison said ordering the resident who she had let work on Laura Lewis, "Pre-op, post-op. You go over every inch of every image and assuming she survives, you get a CT to check the hardware and run a bone density test—" Jackson's pager went off, "—so we can get a clue as to what the hell went wrong."

Jackson looked down to his pager, "I, uh." He looked down at his pager, "I'm so sorry. I-I have to, Dr Thomas." The said women stared at the resident she had to let work on her patient, "Avery."

"Avery, ugh." Alison said when Jackson rushed away from the chief of Orthopaedic surgery, "What?" Dr Miranda Bailey questioned when coming to where Alison stood near a nurse's desk, "Avery put a pedicel screws in a woman's spine this week, and one of them turned out of be tearing holes in her left ventricle." Alison said quietly to the attending, "Wow."

Alison let out a breath, "I can't—I can't—I can't. I can't breathe right now." Aliaon said shaking her head, "It's part of the deal. We have to let students operate. They don't always get it right." Miranda explained as Alison didn't look at her work wife, "Don't beat yourself up. We all do it."

"I was—I was checking in on how my babies were doing." Alison said about when she had met Jackson operate on Laura Lewis as she was on her phone looking at the message the daycare had sent her, "Shh." Bailey said when walking away from her work wife.