A chilling silence engulfed the room as her words hung in the air. I felt the weight of the revelation settle over me, each word carving deeper into my soul. Memories of our shared history flashed before my eyes, the contrast of the past and the harsh reality of the present stark and undeniable.

I couldn't hold back the tears any longer; they welled up and spilled down my cheeks, tracing the pain etched on my face. Time seemed to stand still as the doctor continued, her words echoing in the hollowness of the moment.

I stood there, frozen in a moment suspended between hope and despair. "A coma?" I whispered, the word tasting bitter on my lips. The tears fell freely now, a cascade of emotions unleashed.

The doctor nodded solemnly, her gaze filled with empathy. "Yes, Mrs. Affleck. We needed to stabilize him, and inducing a coma was the best course of action for his recovery."

My voice trembled as I struggled to find words, grappling with the reality before me. "How... How long will he be in this coma?"

"We can't determine an exact timeframe. It depends on how well he responds to treatment," the doctor explained.

I nodded, my mind swirling with a torrent of emotions. As the weight of the situation sank in, I whispered, "Just... bring him back to me." The plea hung in the air, a desperate cry for a reunion with the man who had once treated me like a queen.

The doctor, her eyes reflecting both compassion and professionalism, gently replied, "I understand how difficult this is for you, Mrs. Affleck. However, considering the severity of Ben's injuries, it's crucial for him to remain undisturbed at this time."

Tears streamed down my face, and I pleaded with desperation, "Please, I need to see him. I can't bear not knowing if he's okay."

She placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "I know it's hard, but for his sake and yours, it's best to wait until he's more stable. Coming back tomorrow would be advisable. It will give you both a chance to calm down, and you'll be better prepared to face the situation."

Fighting against my overwhelming emotions, I begged, "I can't wait. Please, just let me see him. I need to be with him."

The doctor sighed, torn between empathy and medical necessity. "Mrs. Affleck, I understand your distress, but seeing him in this state may be more emotionally taxing. Tomorrow will be a better time, I promise."

Tears blurred my vision as I pleaded with the doctor, desperation in every word. "Please, I made an oath to my husband when I married him, you know the vows... 'in sickness and in health.' I don't want to leave him. I've always promised to stay by his side."

The doctor's gaze softened, acknowledging the depth of my commitment. "I understand, Mrs. Affleck. Your love and dedication are evident, but it's essential to let him rest tonight. Tomorrow, you can be by his side with a clearer mind."

Despite her rationale, I clung to my plea. "I can't bear the thought of him waking up alone. Please, let me just see him for a moment. I need to know he's not alone."

She sighed, torn between compassion and her duty. "I empathize with your feelings, but it's in his best interest. Tomorrow, you'll be more composed, and he'll need your strength during his recovery."

Reluctantly, I nodded, tears still streaming down my face, the weight of the situation heavy on my shoulders.

Suddenly, the monitors in the corridor started beeping urgently, breaking the tense moment. The doctor's expression turned frantic as she hurried towards Ben's room.

Instinctively, I followed, my heart pounding in my chest. The sterile hospital corridors blurred as the urgency intensified. Bursting into the room, a gasp escaped my lips as I saw Ben lying in the bed, his face marred by scratches and bruises, a stark contrast to the man who had once treated me like a queen.