Christmas day

December 25th...

Jenn's Perspective

This year, we made a change from our usual Christmas Eve celebration and opted to celebrate on the 25th, in line with Ben's cherished tradition with his kids. Despite still feeling queasy, I powered through, getting dressed for the day. Ben had already risen and prepared a hearty breakfast for everyone. As I emerged from my room, a peculiar odor lingered in the air, an unpleasant hint of bacon. For some inexplicable reason, the scent of bacon disgusted me to my core, prompting me to rush to the restroom and empty my stomach. It was almost as though my mother had an innate sixth sense, for she intuited my discomfort. She made her way upstairs to check on me, gently soothing my back.

"Mija, did the food upset you?" she asked, her worry evident in her eyes.

"I think so. The mere whiff of food nauseates me. I'll just stay in bed, please. I can't bear the smell, and I'm not even hungry, Ma," I confessed, repulsed by the mere thought of food. I lay beside the toilet, trembling. My mother nodded and left the room briefly, returning with a soothing tea to alleviate my nausea. After sipping it, my queasiness subsided remarkably within fifteen minutes. I breathed a sigh of relief and retreated to bed. While everyone else reveled downstairs, enjoying breakfast and watching TV, I took a nap. Eventually, Ben quietly ascended the stairs and entered our room. He lay down beside me, drawing me close. His lips tenderly kissed my forehead before he busied himself with his phone. I shifted closer, seeking warmth and comfort.

"My queen, you're going to be okay. I promise," Ben murmured, his lips brushing my head softly. He set his phone aside and drifted into slumber, holding me in his protective embrace.

Two hours later, Ben stirred first, rising gradually. He gently shook me awake and planted a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Princess, wake up, love," he whispered.I stirred, feeling better but still profoundly fatigued.

"How are you feeling, babe?" Ben inquired, leaning over me and planting a soft kiss on my cheek.

"Tired," I whispered, letting out a yawn before slowly getting up. Ben gazed at me and nodded tenderly. He led me to the bathroom, extending his arms to assist me.

"Come on, baby steps," he teased as I moved slowly towards him, standing in front of the counter to observe my reflection in the mirror. He picked up a hairbrush, gently untangling my hair and meticulously removing the knots. Next, he plugged in the hair straightener and applied heat protector cream to my hair, ensuring even coverage before straightening it.

"How do you know how to straighten hair?" I asked softly, watching him section my hair and straighten it meticulously.

"Because when my ex-wife and I divorced, she neglected Violet's hair. Violet had to manage it herself and struggled, so I started doing her hair, along with Sera's. Plus, I took a class with Chris Appleton back in the day, long before I met you," Ben explained as he continued the hair straightening process. He was entirely focused on the task, meticulously working his way through my hair.

Twenty minutes later, he finished the job. I gazed at him, deeply impressed by how expertly he straightened my hair, leaving no trace of my natural curls. Even my curtain bangs were flawlessly straightened."Baby, in the closet, there's a blue dress with a white collar. Could you fetch it for me?" I asked. Ben nodded and retrieved the dress for me.

 Ben nodded and retrieved the dress for me