Weeknight Burden

July 31st

Jenn's POV

A few days have passed since my birthday, and Ben and I find ourselves in London. Lately, we've been distant, well, to be honest, I've been distant. I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't truly understand my desires. My birthday has already come and gone, and while I may forgive him, I can't forget...

The children are with their mother, as Ben's ex-wife came to pick them up. Max and Cy are still here but have their own room. For the past two days, Ben and I have been sleeping separately, and I decided to walk into the room where he was.

"Hey," I said, standing by the doorway, watching him as he was engrossed in a movie."

What's up," Ben replied without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Would you like to go out for dinner?" I asked."

I'm not really hungry, but I'll go if you want to," he replied, still not looking away from the screen.

"Aren't you hungry?" I inquired.

"I mean, I'll eat if you want to," he said, finally turning his attention to me.

"Could you please pay attention to me?" I asked, feeling a bit ignored.

"What's wrong?" Ben asked, moving to the edge of the bed and sitting up.

"I feel like you haven't been paying attention to me," I admitted softly.

"Jenn, two days ago, you told me, 'I need my space. Go sleep in the kids' room and leave me alone.' So I respected your wishes. What else should I have done? I didn't want to disturb you when you asked for space," Ben explained.

"But you didn't even try to argue with me, to say, 'No, I'm staying here with my wife,'" I argued.

"Why would I argue with you? I know I'll lose every time, so why bother?" Ben responded.

"Does that mean you don't love me anymore?" I asked.

"Of course I still love you," Ben assured me.

"Then why didn't you check up on me?" I pressed."I did, but you yelled at me to get out. So, that's on you," he said.I knew I was in the wrong but couldn't admit it.

"Well," I said, and Ben pulled me into a hug.

I embraced him back gently, letting out a soft sigh.

"Shall we go out to dinner, then?" I asked.

"Sure," Ben replied.

"What do you mean 'sure'? Is that a yes or a no? You usually give straightforward answers. Why the 'sure' now?" I inquired, feeling a bit annoyed.

"Babe, what the hell? These past two days have been peaceful. I haven't heard you yell or complain. So, please stop giving me that attitude when you know I'll give it back," Ben snapped, which was uncharacteristic of him.

His sudden outburst left me feeling hurt and vulnerable. "If that's what you prefer, then okay," I said softly, looking down as I retreated to my room, trying to hold back tears.

"What did I get myself into?" Ben muttered, clearly annoyed, as he laid back in bed. The children ended up ordering room service, but I didn't even have the appetite to eat. I was too upset and tired to bother. I fell asleep, and that became my dinner.