CHAPTER 36: EXPLOSION

Author's POV

The explosion shook the ground. Her breath quickened. She hunched to the ground, hurriedly, clutching her head followed by countless ear-piercing screams of horror.

Three unfamiliar faces walked around the perimeter, cladded in black uniforms and similar electronic-blue elliptical cuff-shaped stuff clasped in their hands. They dashed fast and quickly disappeared from the scene when there were no survivors of the terrible explosion.

She ducked down behind what was the remaining of an exploded garbage can and didn't dare raise her head until the steps turned faint and she was left alone between three to seven deceased strangers sprawled on the ground.

She pushed past the can with trembling bones, her eyes shone a dimly lit gold, as she recognised a darkened brown vest hanging down a damaged grill. Under the grill was a man, taking his last breath beneath various debris and the remaining broken junk of the exploded building.

She hunched near the man and jerked his body up to meet her eyes. Surprisingly, she didn't scrunch her face at the gore and the way his entire face was misplaced with broken bones sticking in terrible directions.

" Hey— Where is she?! Whe—where? Where is she?! " she yelped, trying to jerk his conscious to him at least for a blink.

But the man managed to blink his eyes once and the second time, the dying red slowly turned dark and the half breath he inhaled stuck between his cords.

" No. No. Wake— Wake up! N—no, she—where? " she cried out harder as the man fell dead.

She held the man's dismantled hand and tried to force something but nothing happened for a few blinks before a flash of some vague images crossed her eyes like a dark film.

Remaining bits of the deceased man's memories.

With a harsh breath, she closed her eyes as they haunted for her. All she was able to recognize was obscured memories of familiar hostages and criminals around the Eastern Territory.

" No...where are you? Where are you? Where— " she mumbled, nervously, surfing through the pages of memories for her.

But to her dismay, all she could recognise were strangers and nothing else. The helplessness crushed her heart.

A siren came out of nowhere yanking her out of his mind. She can't be seen there by anyone. She messily found her foot and dashed away from the place and into the woods.

The first gunshot shook her life and for the next hour, she didn't look back and continued running on the way her legs led, possibly, to a safe hideout for an hour or two.

' Where are you? Where are you, Bugsy? Please, talk to me. Plea— Bugsy, where are you?! '

#

Reena stirred in her restless sleep. Maxi, her wolf, was mumbling incoherent words to her senses. She was cuddling Daniel's back, who was sound asleep after an exhausted search for answers to unknown questions.

Blinking sleepily, Reena kissed his earlobe, softly, as she smiled down at him sleeping with an open mouth, forgetting the rest of the world.

About a few minutes later, Reena walked out of their room and into the quiet corridor to the next wing in the night. She stopped before Natasha's door and twirled the knob. Gently opening it, she saw Natasha cuddled in blankets along with Cassia right beside her pillow. Reena walked closer to her bed and smiled seeing her sleeping oh so calmly, no nightmares hunting her tonight.