He understood that. It must have been taxing to make her way back after being attacked by an assassin. But she was trembling as she held onto his arm to walk, her eyes scrambling to all the dark corners of the room. And she looked so tired in the harsh light of the lamp.

She looked tired now as well, looking anywhere but at him.

And just as he opened his mouth, about to ask her if she was okay, she abruptly stood up. Walking to the door, she opened the door in the face of the maid.

He watched her smile, watched her ask for breakfast. He felt as if something else was going on. He wasn't sure, but it felt almost as if she was purposefully detaching herself. It was odd.

And then they were having breakfast. It was quiet. After finishing her plate, Adara tried to reach for another dish, but it was too far.

Cale got it for her, holding the plate for her to grab.

He watched as she hesitated, staring at the plate. Her eyes softened slightly, taking the plate from him.

And then breakfast was done, and she was sitting at her desk, and he was reading his book.

The same shy mage came again, handing Adara the communication device she asked for. She had no access to her own communication device, seeing as it was in the little box back at the Henituse Residence.

She would have wanted nothing more than to deal with the unauthorised poison releases herself, but she could not. She was not at the Thornwin Estate, and even if she was, it would be too suspicious for her to suddenly start interfering with the Poison Department. Even then, she would not have been able to do much.

She had to ask for help. From someone reliable. She couldn't afford for them to mess up. She knew who she would ask, and that was not the problem. The problem, is that she needed to ask for more help for a situation even more important in her view.

She knew she was not asking for help from her subordinate because she was his boss, but she needed help from two others, a single person and a family. Them, she was not asking for help either, she was offering a deal with a lot of money involved.

If there was something she had a lot of, it was money.

But even then, she did not like it. She only wished she could do it alone.

After asking the mage on the other end to hand her to the Head of the Poison Department, she was face-to-face with Sadie.

She had become more tanned since the last time she called. Since her freckles were more prominent now, she guessed Sadie had spent a lot longer in the sun. She also looked more rested than the last time they called, so that was a good development.

"Sadie," Adara greeted quickly. "Go somewhere private."

Sadie nodded. Adara watched as the scenery changed to Sadie's office. "I'm alone," she said. "What's wrong?"

Adara wasted no time, her face a cold mask. "I think someone is releasing prototypes onto the Underworld. Specifically Prototype 71."

Sadie's eyes, a blend of cornflower blue and foggy grey, widened, her eyebrows raised. "That's... not what I was expecting you to say."

Adara continued, no change in her expression. "I'm not sure who, but my biggest suspicion is someone from the Poison Department." She didn't need to say why; it was obvious. The Poison Department was cut off from the rest of the Departments, occasionally working with the Finance and Treasury Departments for funds. But they were the only ones who had access to the poison.

Sadie nodded, deep in thought. "Well, I know it's not Rory for sure."

Adara made a hand motion. "Yes, it's safe to rule him out. You would have known if he was."