Coping Mechanisms {George}

George x Reader

You're at the Burrow hanging out. Ever since the war, you've hung out there, helping Molly and your best friend.

George was not taking Freddie's death too kindly. He lost his second half and so he drinks his problems away. It was a miracle if you saw him without firewhiskey of his own accord.

You made him tell you where his stashes were and you dumped it all in the toilet. He wasn't too happy, but understood that he had a problem. It hurt you to see your best friend in such a state. It pained you even more that you were going to confess your love to him if you survived the war, but now it didn't seem so important. . .

Speaking of him, where is he? You search the Burrow and find him in the living room, firewhiskey in hand. You sigh in frustration. You walk over and take the bottle. By his glazed eyes, you can tell he's pretty far gone.

"Y-Y/N!" He slurs excitedly.

"Hullo, George."

"Y-you look c-cute."

You blush. He's drunk. Get a hold on yourself, Y/N, you scold yourself.

"Thanks George."

"What's b-behind y-you?"

You turn around and look. Nothing is behind you.

"What are you-"

He jerks the firewhiskey back and chugs half the bottle before you can grab it back.

"You little sneak," you scold him.

He chuckles. You go to the bathroom and add the poisonous liquid to the toilet.

"Y/N," George whines from the living room. You go back in there and stand directly in front of him.

"Yes?"

He grabs your wrist and jerks you into his lap. He kisses your neck and murmurs your name into your hair. He then tries to kiss you on the lips before you stop him.

"Stop George. You're not in your right mind."

"Don't you like me?" He pouts adorably.

"Yes, but you're drunk."

"I like you. You like me. Why aren't we snogging?"

"You're drunk."

You slide over to the couch cushion and sit.

"You're not acting like you like me," he sulks.

"I've liked you since I met you," you confess.

It's not like he's going to remember it tomorrow.

"W-well. I th-think your be-bea-beautiful," he stumbles out.

Your heart starts to beat faster. He's drunk.

Then he passes out and lays his head on your lap. You sigh. You run your hands through his hair and hope that he doesn't remember this in the morning.

********************************

You wake to someone shaking you. You squint your eyes open to see Molly.

"George wants you in his room."

This isn't the first time this has happened. After a drunken incident, he's ashamed to see his mother. And Molly brings more memories of Fred, which reminds him why he got drunk in the first place.

You get up, not bothering to brush your hair. If he needs you bad enough to wake you up, he won't care. You stumble into his doorway. He's propped up in his bed and all his curtains are closed.

"Nice hair," he smirks.

"And I'm leaving," you turn to leave.

"No! Y/N!" He whispers desperately.

You sigh and turn around and stalk to his bed and sit at his feet.

"What is it, Georgie?"

"I wanted to talk to you about last night."

"What about it? And where are you hiding the rest of your firewhiskey?"

"I wanted to apologize-"

"It's fine. You don't need to apologize. Can I go back to sleep now?"

"Don't interrupt me. I wanted to apologize because when you said that you'd help me, you didn't sign up to be a babysitter. You shouldn't have to worry about me and constantly watch my next move. Thank you."

"It's fine, George. I don't mind. But thank you for apologizing. I appreciate it."

"It's only 'fine' because you like me."

"W-what?"

"I remember last night."

"Oh."

Your mind is racing. Hopefully he'll let you down easy. Maybe he'll let you stay and help Molly.

"I wanted to tell you that I like you too."

"What?"

You are completely shocked. He laughs at your flabbergasted expression.

"I like you Y/N."

"Are you playing a joke on me?"

He jerks you to him and kisses you sweetly on the lips.

"Okay I believe you," you whisper against his lips.

You crawl next to him and lay your head on his shoulder. He curls next to you and you fall asleep that way.