Chapter 27 - The Old Witch Doctor *

"You and your mate can stay here in the village but sadly, all the treehouses are occupied."

"We just need a place where we can rest to spend two nights. We will find our own way if we know where can we stay so not to disturb the other fox beasts."

"Alright. I will allow you to use the area near the riverbank. Is that fine for you and your mate?"

"Yes chief. Thank you for your hospitality."

"You know where it is for you have been in this village a couple of times, yes?"

"Yes chief. No need to guide me and my wife. Thank you."

"I will let others know that you are staying near the riverbank if they are interested to look at the things you want to trade."

"Me and my wife thank you chief. It is an honor to be of service to the fox tribe."

The couple started to leave after seeing the chief has left them. Dumu walks away and headed to the direction of the old witch doctor's wooden house.

"I don't like that chief. There's something about him that warns me to stay away from him," Asha whispers to Dumu.

He chuckled at his wife's straightforwardness and at the same time, relieved for he have felt that the chief was curiously studying his beautiful wife. For Asha telling him that she doesn't like the chief is a concern taken off his shoulders.

"He is a bit ill-tempered and cold to everyone. This tribe is used to his irritable personality," he whispers back to her.

She leans her head on his broad chest while still eating berries.

"Are we going to the riverbank?"

"Not yet. We will visit the old witch doctor. I need to speak to him."

"Okay. Is he a friend? The chief said you've been here lots of times."

"I am familiar with him because he is the only one in this tribe that was kind to me. I have no friends. I am alone for a long time until I met you."

Asha hugged him tight that made him chuckle again. He kissed the top of her head and continued walking.

"I am also a loner in my world. The only people that I can probably call friends are the people who work for my father. So, I think I know how you feel."

Dumu sighed as he stops in front of a house.

"I would be happy to listen to my wife if you decide to tell me your story. But for now, let us keep it to ourselves first. We are already here."

Asha gives him a quick kiss on the lips before going down. She is also curious about what witch doctors in this world are capable of. She might learn a thing or two or nothing at all. It doesn't matter to her but every little info can be helpful for her to adapt quickly.

"Old witch doctor Edi. It is I, Dumu. Can me and my wife come in?"

Sudden noises can be heard coming from the inside of the house. Someone's yelling is getting louder as it gets nearer the front door that is only covered with a large beast pelt.

"How many times have I told you you snake bastard not to call me old witch doctor! Old old old! I know I am old! You do not have to rub it in my face everytime you visit. You ungrateful snake bastard! Why are you here?! I am not interested in what you are selling. Did you go to the ohhhh...."

An old pale looking man appeared. He was slightly hunched back with messy grey hair and beard. His rugged wrap around skirt is dishevelled. His eyes were wide open as he looks at Asha, then to Dumu, then back to Asha.

"Dumu greets Edi the old witch doctor."

Edi raised his fist again in anger at Dumu, "I just told you not to say old you rude snake bastard!"

"I brought my wife for you to meet."

"Asha greets Edi the great witch doctor."

"Hahahaha, I like this female already! But what do you mean wife?"

"Wife is a female mate. I am Dumu's mate. It is a pleasure to meet the wise witch doctor of the fox tribe."

"This female... you better teach that bastard mate of yours how to respect their elders." He pointed angrily at Dumu, "you should learn from your beautiful mate you rude snake bastard!" He faces Asha back with a wide smile, "come in! Come in! How lucky! How lucky!"

They all went inside the wooden house of Edi and as they enter, various medicinal scents fill the whole place. A lot of hanging herbs and plants can be seen everywhere to dry. And there were a lot of stone trays where different kind of herbs and flowers are placed. There are even grounded spices that made her even amazed. A stone bed covered with animal skins can be seen at the far side of the room.

"Is that how you call your mates nowadays? You young beasts keep on creating nonsense. I feel so old all of a sudden...."

Edi stopped in front of a large stone table in the middle of the room where herbs and leaves are scattered everywhere. This is the first time Asha saw a mortar and pestle made of stone. With all the things she saw inside his house, she is now convinced that this witch doctor knows things about medicine.

"This is a great place you have Elder Edi! The smell of medicinal herbs and plants feels calming and soothing. Can I take a look around? I'm really interested to see what medicinal plants you use!"

"My wife knows a lot about plants."

"Ah! A female who shares my interest for plants! I would like to have a novice as enthusiastic as you. I would have asked you to be my mate if we met when I was younger."

"You are too old. We are not even born yet when you are at your peak as a beast man. Can you even have that front tail excited? You are too old to get an erection...."

"Dumu!"

"You snake bastard!"

Both yelled at him in unison.