79 - Happy Ever After

The day after Jamie's arrival, I had to go to work, and instead of walking straight to my office, I went to talk to my boss. I let her know that I was quitting, and the news took her by surprise. She tried to convince me to stay, but I was very decided and refused all the offers she made me.

I walked out of her office with a big smile on my face. I was still a little bit sad about leaving, but how the future was going to be excited me. I was a tad bit annoyed that I had to work two more weeks before I was able to officially leave my job, but they were only two weeks. Two weeks and I would be starting an incredible adventure.

Right before lunch time, I went to Tom's office. I wanted to tell him about me quitting and let him know that I would be gone for a few months. He would be the first of my closest friends to know. I still had to talk to Charlotte and my dad, which I would be doing during the week.

- What's up? - he asked as he stopped typing on his computer to look at me.

- I quitted - I replied.

- Ha ha, funny - he said sarcastically. But when he realized that I wasn't laughing, he looked at me with wide eyes. - You're joking, right? -

- I'm not - I shook my head, and then told him everything.

- Oh god, I'm going to miss you so, so much - he said as he hugged me tight.

- Shut up or you'll make me cry - I chuckled against his chest.

I didn't want to get emotional. Not yet at least. I still had about three weeks before we left, and I wanted to see my loved ones as much as I could during that time. Both Charlotte and my dad got emotional once they heard the news, but they were happy for me.

- I'll be back in a few months - I reassured them.

Those couple of weeks flew by, and before I knew it, I was at the airport hugging my dad, Char and Tom goodbye. We shed a few tears and I gave them a sad smile before I had to go through security. We started walking behind the rest of the band and Jamie grabbed my hand and squeezed it once in a while, just to let me know he was there and that everything would be okay.

I slept throughout the whole flight and woke up when we were about to land in Paris. We quickly walked to baggage claim and made our way outside the airport, where a black van was waiting for us to take us to the studio.

It was about a 40 minute drive there, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was an old house in the middle of a forest and the first floor had been turned into a studio. The second and third floor where rooms, so we left our bags there and decided to rest before the day began.

We got settled quickly and the band started working straight away, and I watched them the whole evening as they messed with their instruments until they found something they liked. The next day their producer arrived, and I watched him as he mixed everything on his computer, trying to learn something. I guess he caught me staring and taught me how to use different programs, and even helped me to install them in my laptop. I started to spent hours trying to make some stuff on my laptop, and learnt quite quickly.

If I wasn't on my laptop, I was watching the band or taking pictures outside. I had bought a camera before we left the UK, and Matt taught me everything I needed to know about photography.

Taylor arrived a few days after, and I couldn't ask for better company. We would take walks and take pictures of each other, cook something or simply watch the band as they worked on their new album. It was quickly getting together and whenever they were recording something and either Alex or Jamie messed up, the rest of the band would tease them for being distracted.

- Ladies, please, you're distracting them - Nick would say, making us laugh.

Each day would be the same as the day before, but it wasn't boring at all. I was very happy with this new routine, and I had learned quite a lot. I couldn't wait to get back home and put everything I had learned thanks to the Monkey's producer to practice.

Once a week Taylor and I would go to Paris, just to walk around or buy some things that we needed. We would also take the pictures of my camera to develop. We found a place that had them ready in a few hours, so we would grab a coffee or something to eat and then stroll around the city before we picked them up and head back to the studio.

Everything was perfect. I was surrounded by my friends and the man I loved, and I couldn't ask for anything more. Only it did get way more perfect. One day, Taylor and I had gone shopping and didn't notice the time passing, so we got back to the studio when the sun was setting.

- I hope they have cooked something. I'm starving - Taylor said as she opened the front door. We left our bags in the hallway and went to the kitchen, but there was no one in there.

- That's weird. Why don't you go look outside and I'll see if they are upstairs - she suggested and I accepted with a nod.

Sometimes after dinner the lads would drink a beer in the back patio, looking at the stars and laughing at stupid jokes. I opened the glass door and was met with a path of candles. I got curious and followed it, of course, and after taking a couple of steps I noticed that Jamie was standing in the middle of the backyard, looking at the darkening sky.

- Jamie? - I asked when I got closer to him.

- Hey. You're back - he smiled at me.

- Yeah. What's all of this? - I looked at my surroundings.

- I've got to tell you something. Well, ask you something really - he said and took a few steps closer to me.

My breath hitched and I think my heart stopped beating for a second. No, this couldn't be what I was thinking.

- I'm a stupid man - he began his monologue. - I am, really. I've made stupid mistakes in the past, but I've learnt from them. And I'm not stupid enough to let you go once again. I've known for years that I was meant to spend the rest of my days with you, and even though there had been some obstacles on the way, I still believe that -.

- Phoebe Adams - he got on one knee, my heart thumping against my rib cage. - Will you marry me? -.

I was completely shocked. Happy tears started rolling down my cheeks as I nodded, words not coming out of my mouth.

- Yes - I managed to say.

Jamie kissed me and then hugged me tightly. He pulled apart to put the ring on my finger, both of us crying now. I admired the ring; it was beautiful, more than I have ever dreamt of.

In that moment I felt complete. He made me feel complete. He made me feel happy. Completely and utterly happy.

THE END