1 - Meeting the Monkeys

- August 2010 -

I woke up to the sound of my alarm beeping. I turned it off and checked the time: 7:00. Ugh. Even though I hated waking up early, I had to do it. My dad had offered me a job at the company he was working in, and I accepted it to earn some extra money. My dad worked as a sound recorder at Domino Records, and he offered me a job as an assistant there, so I would be helping different artists. I was only doing it during my summer holidays, though; then I would be going back to university. It was my second year in sound engineering and I couldn't be happier. Ever since I was a little girl I really liked music, and like my dad, I decided to make a career out of it.

I got out of my bed and showered. Then I went to get some clothes on. I went for a pair of jeans and a white top, with a white jacket and white Converse. Once I was ready, I went downstairs to make myself some breakfast.

My house wasn't big but it wasn't small either. On the first floor was the kitchen, living room, a toilet and my dad's room. On the second floor was my room and a small lounge where I could chill and watch TV and even have sleepovers with my friends.

Downstairs I found my dad making some pancakes. It always had been him and me. When I was little, my mother left us and moved away, apparently because of her job, but then my dad found out that she had cheated on him and left with her lover. It was hard for my father at first, but eventually he moved on and gave me the best life he could. Now that I was older I had tried to set him up with other women a few times, but he always said that eventually the right one would come and that he had other priorities at the moment.

- Morning sweetheart - he said with a smile, while he flipped off the pancakes.

- Morning dad - I said, and went to make myself some coffee. - You want some coffee? -

- Yes please - he replied, and went to put the pancakes on the table.

I went to sit down with the two cups of coffee, and handed one to my dad. We ate breakfast and once we were done I did the dishes and then went to my room to finish getting ready. I did my make up, but nothing too heavy, just a little bit of concealer and mascara. Then I grabbed my bag and inside I put a book I was reading, my headphones, my wallet, my charger and my keys.

Downstairs my dad was waiting for me, with his backpack over his shoulder.

- Ready to go? - he asked me.

- Yes - I said, as I opened the door and got in his car.

My dad started the car, and I turned on the radio. A CD from The Strokes was on, and I turned the volume up a little. After about 5 minutes in the car, my dad turned the volume down so we could talk.

- So today we have the Arctic Monkeys recording a new album - my dad said.

- No way - I said shocked. I wasn't a fan but I really liked their songs. I even had their latest album on vinyl.

My dad laughed.

- This is my second time recording with them, and they are amazing. I'm sure you will get along with them - he replied.

- Wait, you have recorded with them before and didn't even tell me? - I asked, pretending to be hurt.

- I thought you didn't knew them. And it was a few years ago, when you were still at school. I recorded Favourite Worst Nightmare - he explained.

- Cool. I love that album. It has amazing tracks, but I prefer Humbug though - I said and he laughed at my comment.

- We will be recording the whole morning. Then you will have a lunch break and we will continue to record for a few hours. After that you have to take them for an interview - he explained.