25 - Red Light

Jamie started to strum his guitar and sing. He didn't sing bad, but his accent was too thick. Once I realized that he was singing a song from The Strokes, my heart started to beat faster.

Two could be complete without the rest of the world
Do it for the people that have died for your sake
An entire generation that has nothing to say

How'd you make your way to me?

Oh, let's say you made a deal with me
And I got your name and your home address
And you're all trashed up with your big red belt
And I'd almost say that you might need help
I could drop you off at the next red light
If it don't make sense or it don't feel right

Jamie had been singing too focused on the chords to look at me. But when the next refrain came, he looked at me.

All the girls could never make me love 'em the way I love you

Can't you see the sky is not the limit no more?
I can see the elevator crash through the floor
I can still see yesterday sailing away
Seven billion people who got nothing to say

Are you coming on to me?

Oh, I saw your face, then I heard that song
It was so inviting, it hurt my bones
Well it looks like you, but your eyes are gray
And your hair is gone, but your mind's okay
Yes, I like your smile, but your forehead's cold
I don't want you to be afraid and go

I could feel my cheeks heat up as he kept singing.

I would cheat and lie and steal, and I was there on a nail for you

I was waiting
For my baby to arrive
Right by my side

Oh, please
Leave me alone tonight
Forget the past

Two could be complete without the rest of the world
Oh, you know I said it just to get you to laugh
Do it for the people that have died for your sake
An entire generation of entertainers to blame

The light is red, the camera's on
Get yourself a lawyer and a gun
Hate your friends, new friends like everyone

Childhood's end can be so competitive

Oh, the sky's not the limit and you're never gonna guess what is, oh

Once he strummed the last chord we found ourselves in a comfortable silence. We were enjoying the moment, sitting underneath the dark sky with the soft summer breeze blowing. I wish I could've captured that moment.

We were looking at each other's eyes; I let out a small awkward chuckle. I decided to break the eye contact and look at my feet. I heard that Jamie had put the guitar on the floor; then, he grabbed my chin and made me look at him. My heart started to beat faster, and then, he pressed his lips against mine.

I kissed him back. The slight beard that had grown was tickling my face. It was a gentle kiss at first. That kind of kiss that can express more than words are capable of. He was leaning over me, with one hand on my hips and the other one caressing my cheek. Meanwhile I was gently stroking the back of his head. He pulled me gently so I would be straddling his lap.

The kiss got more heated after that. I opened my mouth so his tongue could have access. I was cupping his face with both of my hands, and his hands were resting on my hips. After a while, my brain started functioning again, and it was filled with questions and possible future scenarios. Was this just for fun? Or did he really have feelings for me? Did I have feelings for him?

- Look, I really need to know this time if this feeling flows both ways - I said looking at Jamie, breaking the kiss. I didn't want things to end like they had in the past.

- Phoebe, my feelings for you never disappeared. I've had feelings for you ever since I met you - he said, cupping my cheek.

- Really? - I asked with glowing eyes, and he nodded. I pecked his lips and stood up.

I laid on the grass, looking at the stars.

- Are you joining me or not? - I asked him.

- I need a minute - he said a bit nervous. The kiss had gotten him all hot and bothered. I chuckled and rested on my back.

After a couple minutes, Jamie laid beside me. He had brought two cushions and a blanket. We made ourselves comfortable and stared at the stars in silence.

Jamie put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. I rested my head against his chest, and I guess eventually I started to fall asleep.

- Phoebe - Jamie whispered in my ear and I opened my eyes. - Come on, we should go to bed. Don't want you to get cold - he added, rubbing my arm.

I groaned and hugged closer to him. He hugged me and then sat up. He tried to pick me up but I squirmed away before he could do it, giggling. We both stood up and he grabbed my hand.

We both carried the cushions and blanket back to the living room. We dropped them on the couch, and once we had our arms free, Jamie pulled me closer to him.

- I'll take you out on a proper date once we get to the States. I promise - he whispered in my ear, and I could feel the goosebumps appear thanks to his warm breath tickling on my skin. - I want to make up for all the lost time - he added, and I could feel the butterflies in my stomach.

- Sounds good to me. Good night Jamie - I said, pecking his lips.

- Good night love - he said softly.