74 - Nuptials

As soon as I heard someone trying to open the door, I knew it was Jamie, so I went to open it before he could. His expression turned anxious as he scanned my face while I tried to conceal any emotion, but I was fuming inside.

- I'm so sorry Phoebe - he finally spoke.

I rolled my eyes and turned my back at him, walking into the lounge. If we were going to argue, it wasn't going to be in the hallway where half of the building would hear us. He closed the door quietly and followed me.

- I'm very sorry - he apologized once again. - I don't know what happened with me. I'm sorry -.

- If you didn't want to come you could've just told me - I sighed, frustrated. - I wouldn't have been angry, because I totally respect it and I couldn't force you to go. But now I'm pissed because you humiliated me, Jamie! - I said, letting all my feelings out.

- I did want to go - he started saying but I interrupted him.

- Let me speak - I said angrily. - I was worried about you. I thought something had happened to you. Do you have any idea how I felt when I called Nick and he told me that you were drunk? I was worried sick while you were getting pissed! - I told him and he looked at me with a guilty look.

- I'm sorry - he muttered.

- And all my cousins were very excited to meet you. So I had to make up a lame excuse to explain why you weren't coming - I said, running a hand through my hair, frustrated and angry.

- I thought your family hated me - he replied. But before I could ask why he thought that, he continued talking. - Because of everything that happened in the past. So I decided to have a drink to calm myself down, but it made everything worse. I started spiraling and then had another drink, and another, and before I could realize I was being stupid, I was drunk - he explained.

- But my family doesn't hate you - I said, stepping closer to him and grabbing one of his hands. - Everyone was so excited to meet you - I said with a soft smile, the anger leaving my body immediately.

- Yeah, well, what can I say. I'm an idiot - he chuckled.

- Yeah - I nodded and hugged him. - But you're my idiot - I said.

- I'm sorry - he apologized once again.

- I know. You'll come tomorrow, right? - I asked him.

- I wouldn't miss it for the world - he answered.

The next day was going to be my dad and Jessica's wedding ceremony. It was going to be something small and intimate, with close relatives and friends. It was going to be held at a small church Jessica found.

Jamie drove my dad and I to the place two hours before the ceremony was meant to start. My dad was all dressed up in his suit and I was so happy for him that I was about to cry any minute. Everything was decorated and ready for the ceremony, with lots of flowers around the place.

People slowly started to arrive and I introduced Jamie to the rest of my family. Everyone was so excited to meet him, specially my cousins.

- So you're the famous Jamie - Kendall teased. - It's nice to meet you - she smiled.

- You too - Jamie smiled back.

- I love your band - Luke said shyly. - One of the bests of this century -.

- Thanks mate. Appreciate that - Jamie replied with a bright smile.

As we all engaged in conversation, time flew by and before I could realize, the ceremony was about to start. I went to look for my dad and gave him a big hug before he went to the altar.

- I'm so happy for you - I said, a few tears escaping my eyes.

- Oh, sweetie you're going to make my cry - he said as he blinked away his tears.

- Sorry - I giggled.

We gave each other one last hug and then the ceremony started. I found myself shedding a few tears during it, but tears started falling uncontrollably during the vows. Jamie noticed it and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him, leaving a kiss on my temple.

Everything turned out beautiful. The guests slowly left the place and made their ways to the next stop: my old house. We were gathering at my dad's house for a small cocktail to celebrate the newly weds. Jamie drove us there, and a few people had arrived before us.

The first thing I did was hug my dad and Jessica tightly, congratulating them and telling them how beautiful the ceremony was. I spent most of the evening chatting with Jamie and my cousins. They got along incredibly well and that made me very happy.

As Kendall was telling us something, I couldn't help but stare at my dad and Jessica. They were together, laughing about something while they shared some dessert. I smiled to myself as I watched the scene, happy that my dad had found the one for him.

Then I looked at Jamie, who was saying something, but I was too busy admiring him to hear what he had said. I grabbed his arm and rested my head on his shoulder. I thought about the path full of obstacles that led us together; despite everything, we managed to find our way to one another. Even though it took us a good time to get back together, we were with each other now, and that was mattered.

Everything was how it should be. Everything was in its right place.