Chapter 303: The Inevitable Clash

Chiba, Tokyo, Japan

3rd person POV

Ranpo, Kazuto, and Asuna are dining at a ramen shop as they discussed the situation that's ongoing. 

Kazuto: Things are really getting bad now huh? 

Ranpo: Yeah, the capturing of Doctor Nakano is going to be a problem, but we already know where they are headed which is this very city itself. 

Asuna: But do we even know where to look? I don't think I've even been to Chiba until tonight. 

Ranpo: Don't worry about it, Asuna. I've memorized the map of the entire city. So, going around isn't a problem for us. 

Kazuto: That's good to know. Now if I were the Port Mafia, where would we hide ourselves and an important hostage? 

Ranpo: That's a good question. Though there is one thing that you need to know about the Port Mafia. Most of their hideouts would usually range from any abandoned warehouses or derelict buildings which serves as their temporary hideout. 

Kazuto: We just need to look for old warehouses and buildings am I right, Ranpo-san?

Ranpo: Exactly.

Asuna: *Yawn*

Kazuto: Are you okay Asuna? You look tired. 

Asuna: I'm fine. It's just that, I'm kinda not used to going out this late and moving around like this. 

Kazuto: Says the girl who's stayed up all night playing CSGO that one time.

Asuna: Hey! I was on a losing streak okay!? I didn't want to lose. My own determination prevented me from being tired. 

Ranpo: Haha! you two are more interesting than I thought. 

Asuna: Hmm?

Ranpo: Tell me, how much does Ayanokouji trust the two of you? 

Kazuto: He trusts us as much as he trusts our other classmates. 

Asuna: He even sees us as his secret weapons. 

Ranpo: Secret weapons huh? 

Asuna: We don't look like much, but we did train with him so we can pretty much protect ourselves. 

Ranpo: I see. Well to be honest, I'm not really the most physically gifted out of the two of you but my ability to see the truth is what makes me the Agency's ultimate weapon. 

Kazuto: The ability to see the truth?

Ranpo: Yep, I had it since I was young. 

Asuna: So, you didn't learn how to deduce things from others?

Ranpo: It just came to me. It's like an innate ability of sorts. I'm just good at it somehow. But you know, the truth can be scary sometimes. After all, there are somethings that should be left in the dark. My ability to deduce things at a faster rate is also a curse. Knowing the truth about how cruel the world could be. People living in their own facades, there's always a lie around the corner and I can see all that like it was nothing. You know, I used to think that the world is a scary place. I wanted to just not see the truth, but I always seem to see it no matter what. 

Asuna: I see, but isn't having the ability to see the truth a good thing in spite of all that?

Ranpo: Yeah, it is good, and it took a little bit of convincing for me to realize that the world isn't as scary as I thought it would be. That people are just babies. They're both foolish and stupid that needed to be protected.