33

Genevieve was trying on one of the dozens of dresses her stylist brought for her to try. Evan was in town for support and to help her pick out a dress. Evan looked at the rack of dresses in protective sleeves. "How many designers sent you their dress designs?" Evan asked overwhelmed by the amount of dresses in the room. "Too many!" Genevieve called out.

Genevieve stepped out and looked at herself in the dress she was wearing. "Found one you like yet?" He asked. "Not yet" Genevieve sighed. She stared at herself in the mirror unsure. "I think you look beautiful in anything you wear." He said in support. "Thanks...but none of these feel right." She sighed and went back to change out of her dress. He grabbed a new dress off the rack and handed it to her.

"So you're finally getting married...how do you feel?" Evan asked. Genevieve stepped out in the new dress,"Can you help me zip this one up?" She asked struggling to zip up her dress. Evan stepped in to help and tried to pull up the zipper, "Straighten your back." He said. "I am!" Genevieve said as he attempted to zip it. "Did they send one that was too small?" He asked.

"They all got my measurements but all of these have been fitting a little tight." Genevieve sighed. "Maybe they made a mistake." Evan shrugged. Genevieve stared at the dress in the mirror. "I didn't like this one anyway." She went back to try another. "So how does Josiah feel about everything?" Evan asked. "He's happy. He's busy filming for that show in Australia but they wrap up in a few months and he'll have more time." Genevieve replied.

She stepped out in the next dress and stood in front of the mirror. "How does that one feel?" Evan asked. "Easier to zip, still feels a little tight." Genevieve replied. She grabbed another dress and went back to change. "You still haven't answered my other question." Evan said as he leaned against the wall and waited for her to come out in the new dress. "What question?" She asked. "How do you feel?" He asked.

"I'm happy. I don't think I could've asked to be marrying anyone better." Genevieve replied. Evan nodded, "So he really makes you happy?" Evan asked. "We've been friends since we were younger, we found our way back to each other after years of not communicating, and he knows me." Genevieve stepped out in her new dress and approached the mirror.

Evan's eyes slightly widened and admired the beautiful dress she had on. She admired the lace details and checked the dress in the mirror. "He feels like a breath of fresh air sometimes you know?" She said. "How so?" Evan asked. She thought about it for a moment while she admired the details on her dress. She softly smiled to herself, "He brings me peace. He's attentive and considerate. He goes above and beyond to make me happy. He just reminds me of home somehow. He feels like..." Her smile slightly dropped.

"Feels like what?" Evan asked. It felt like everything had clicked. She wasn't sure if she wanted that to be true. "...James." She quietly replied. "Who's James?" Evan asked. Genevieve glanced back at him, "I...I have to go." Genevieve said as she went to quickly change out of her dress. "Genevieve?" Evan questioned. Genevieve quickly gathered her things. "Genevieve, who's James? What's going on?" Evan asked. She didn't respond and left the room.

--

Genevieve stared at the home she swore she wouldn't come back to. She rang the doorbell and there was no response. She looked toward the spot where the spare key used to be and wondered if Taylor ever put it back. She checked and saw the key was put back in the same spot. She unlocked the door. Her hand tightly gripped the door handle unsure if she should even enter.

She took a deep breath and entered. The house was quiet. She set the key down on the small table and made her way toward the backyard. She stepped out and stood on the steps. Taylor was reading out by the garden. She looked up from her book and was surprised to see Genevieve standing in the distance. She stood up and cautiously approached. "What are you here to yell at me about this time?" Taylor asked.