Chapter 109: The "Grave" (1)

The sudden confession of the "serial-killer hunter" caused a big wave in the climate of societal opinion. Not only the news media, but the general public were divided into factions, and people were at loggerheads on forums and SNS. The focus of the debate had shifted from whether "Should one be guilty when one uses violence to curb violence" into "Why did he plead guilty when he had the upper hand at trial?", and conspiracy theories about the federal government's backroom dealings with the CIA were on the rise.

The office building where Leo and Rob were located was always packed with an enthusiastic crowd of journalists. Due to the siege and protests of Sha Qing's fanbase, the detention center was like a fortress being washed down by the tide, so much so that riot police and helicopters were almost deployed.

Inside the office, Rob was whining while scanning through the news, "..."Extorting confessions by torture" ? Bullshit, it's not like he's being held in Guantanamo ...."Insider of an Unspeakable Transaction" ?! Then how do you guys know about it! Leo, these reporters are too damn talented on making things up, and some actually say that you and Sha Qing are-"

Leo's heart stopped beating.

"--Oh, I read it wrong, I'm sorry, that's a fanfiction written by Slash Powder."

"Slash Powder?" Leo asked, puzzled.

Rob stole a glance at Leo and felt that the latter looked calm and peaceful, as if he had completely gotten rid of the pain and entanglements he had before. He figured that there's no need to deliberately avoid certain topics anymore, "Uhh, it's just that there are a ton of fans arguing over L/K or K/L,. mainly young women."

"I still don't quite understand."

"It's the two of you, uhm... the problem of which one of you two is the top and the bottom."

Leo looked at his partner in shock, and Rob waved his hand repeatedly to indicate that the problem was not on his side.

""

"Blame it on that damned "The Chess of Life and Death" book. Channing sold some of its bits and pieces to a website at a high price, and it immediately became an internet sensation. You have no idea how many publishers were vying for the initial rights to it, spawning a whole fandom along with it. By the way, Roy Lee's previously published novels have been sold out and are now reportedly being reprinted for additional copies.

"... A crazy world." Leo held his breath, feeling suffocated. How could so many people wishfully regard an agent and a criminal being romantically involved just because of a novel? Damn it, Sha Qing didn't write anything that shouldn't be written, did he? Like... removing a bullet using his mouth, or even after that... He couldn't help thinking in despair, the entire FBI's reputation would get destroyed!

"Not really. Back in the days, fans writing love letters and sending marriage proposals to serial killers used to be popular. It just changed into building websites and writing fanfics these days." Rob shrugged his shoulders and said with irony, "Times are progressing."

Leo rested his palm on his forehead and let out a low groan.

"It's okay," his green-eyed partner patted his shoulder comfortingly, "It's just some girl's rotten fantasies- it won't affect your work or life, and I'll keep my mouth shut. But seriously though, I'm curious -which one of you is the "attacker" and the "receiver" ?"

This time, Leo didn't even have the strength to groan. He knocked Rob's head with the newspaper roll in his hand, "How about the other side? Have they rescued Li Biqing?"