Chapter 94: White Tower's Welcome Party (1)

"I don't think he's doing too well ...... Shouldn't we bring in a doctor?" Elaine's eyes averted from the monitor and hesitantly asked her colleague, Hayden. She's a gentle and quiet French-blond beauty with pure blue eyes, which was currently laced with hidden worries.

She felt that there was some kind of consensus among her colleagues, perhaps a hint from the top or a private agreement, but this kind of action was still illegal and inhumane. They couldn't just ignore the injuries of a freshly caught suspect as if his bruises, cuts, blood, and fractures didn't exist at all.

Even death row prisoners have the right to survive before execution. The prison authorities will dispatch doctors to treat any cold or flu, let alone the fact that he's still only a suspect until the court's decision takes effect! Why would he not be allowed to seek medical treatment? Elaine thought sullenly.

"I think it's better if you stay out of this," Hayden replied simply and continued to scribble. He seemed to want to avoid talking about this problem, but the girl he liked gave him an insistent and pleading look, causing him to quickly lose the battle and pull her into his desk cubicle to whisper, "He's no ordinary suspect. Don't know who he is?"

"Yes, I know." Elaine, affected by the tense atmosphere, also lowered her voice. "The guy in charge of the case only said that he was suspected of at least twelve intentional killings, but everyone knows that he is that serial killer on the federal wanted list- Sha Qing."

"Then you should know who caught him."

"I heard that it was Leo Lawrence, the head of the criminal division of the headquarters. What's more amazing is that he caught him while he was solving another big case."

"Very well, Elaine, I know you're a smart girl, so now please tell me, if you were the head of the Bureau, are you going to praise a key agent who has made two major achievements in a row as a role model, or punish him for a minor violation like punching a suspect in a momentary lapse of reason?"

Hayden boldly patted her back and comforted her, "Now you understand why everyone is keeping quiet, in case this issue gets publicized. Sir Gordy is retiring soon, and Leo is his most beloved cadre, plus, the recommendation attached to the outgoing report is very convincing. No one wants to offend the future office director."

Elaine nodded and said, "I understand ...... but a doctor has to be called in to take a look at him. What if he dies while in the interrogation room?"

Hayden immediately retorted, "He's Sha Qing. How can he die so easily! Do you know how many vicious serial killers he had wiped out? 'Ghoul',' Park Road Butcher', 'Oregon Nightmare',' Rose Killer', and a pair of professional police assassins..."

"Hey... wait-" Elaine stopped her colleague and said in surprise, "Are you also, uh, his fan?"

Hayden glanced around and smiled awkwardly.

"Great, after working together for so long, we finally have a common topic other than work." Elaine said happily.

Hayden's heart was racing, What does this mean? Is this what they call a rare opportunity?

"If you want, let's find time to talk tomorrow at noon and have lunch on the way?" He asked cautiously.

Elaine agreed, and he was so excited that he stood up and spun around in place twice, even wanting to hug the monitor and kiss the image of the killer on the screen. Oh, and he was even willing to risk offending his future boss by sneaking in a doctor if it would help him get a girlfriend