Chapter 15: Opening

The setting sun shone in through the thin window screen, and covered the dark marble table in front of the floor-to-ceiling window with a dark orange halo. In the center of the table rested a chessboard, and on top of it were the kings, queens, rooks, knights, bishops and pawns in their own positions, silently and solemnly waiting for the battle to begin.

The rough-looking chess pieces lay in contrast to the delicate black and white crystal chessboard. The white chess pieces have a dead, chalky color, marked with irregular fine lines if seen on a closer inspection, while the black ones were closer to dark brown like they had been layered with rust.

A black hand stretched out from the shadow on the left sofa, the calloused thumb and the thick index finger picked up a white pawn and advances it into two squares- white pawn, e4.

And just like the lifting of curtains on a stage, this action signaled the opening of the game!

A white hand also stretched out from the right sofa. An ominous-looking burn scar that started from the back of the hand extended to the cuff could be seen; the fingertips with cracked nails pushed a black chess piece forward by one square-black pawn, c6.

White pawn, d4. Black pawn, d5. The two pawns faced each other.

The white knight jumped to c3

The d5 black pawn took an oblique step and ate the first e4 white pawn.

The off-white pawn was held tightly in the palm of his hand, and a man's dull voice came from within the shadow, "Let the game begin!"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Chicago, Illinois.

A small aircraft with the FBI logo landed at the O'Hare International Airport. As soon as the hatch opened and even before the airstairs landed, the high August temperature blew to the passengers' faces like a wave.

"I hate cities where the difference in temperature between winter and summer could reach as high as 20 degrees!" Rob complained to his colleagues while he rubbed down the sweat that had dripped from his neck with a handkerchief. "Yes, Chicago's temperature is as fickle as the girls at the bar."

The flight attendant standing at the hatch door replied with a smile, "If you say that, this friendly city will cry! In fact, people can always smile and will greet others with open arms-as long- as you have enough dollars in your pocket. Well then, welcome to the Hog Butcher for the World, City of the Big Shoulders, Chicago!"

Leo then stepped out of the door. Because of the sweltering heat, estimated to be at least 38°C, he did not wear his usual dark suit uniform, but only a simple white shirt paired with smoky gray casual trousers - not even tie.

Li Biqing, donning a sun hat in his short-sleeved casual outfit, followed the other down the airstairs. The bright, reflective, snow-like concrete floor made him uncomfortably fascinated. The black-haired federal agent shook hands with his Chicago branch colleague who came to pick them up. After a few simple words, he also put up a pair of sunglasses for himself. "Can you take us to the prepared residence first?"

"No problem, sir," said Mike, a young agent with chocolate-colored skin, high nose and thick lips, obviously of mixed blood. "The residence is located in the center of the city, a beautiful two-storey villa. Hope you will be satisfied with the scenic shores of Lake Michigan."

Leo nodded then asked, "Is there a university nearby, one with a language school?"

Mike was somewhat surprised by this question. He glanced at the naive-looking young Asian man next to him, and answered clearly, "The nearest is the Northwestern Chicago University. The campus is in the urban area and has very convenient schedules- evening and weekend classes are available."