Chapter 53: Advertisement Sheet (1)

The desperate Daniel was wrapped in an apricot-colored, thin old windbreaker as he walked down in the cold dark street. He was hungry and wanted a refreshing drink such as a cold beer, but he only had a few coins remaining in his pocket.

He just got released out of Riker's Island prison last month. An eleven-year prison sentence can be released after serving two-thirds of the sentence, so in fact he only squatted in there for seven years and four months. He didn't feel any cost-effectiveness in this regard. In more than seven years, it was enough to wipe out many things, such as the accumulated wealth, status of the gang, and the beautiful girls who loved him to death...

Recalling those blood-splattered fights-that was a turbulent period called the "Red and Blue War", where the two major gangs in New York, the Crips and the Bloods, were in a frantic scuffle to grab territory. The two factions not only opened fire to each other, but all the forces inside their respective alliance also clashed, while some other small gangs were dipped in muddy in the water, fighting for the leftover food from the mouth of the two white sharks fighting.

In this environment, the blood in every member was like a fire being ignited with oil, and Daniel was no exception. The Bloods gang he was leading fought with one of the Crips' branch. The spark that started this particular incident was that a member of the opposing side whistled at one of his girlfriends, yelling "Hi, bitch", and the next moment, he immediately stabbed that guy with eleven times. His personal grievances soon escalated into the two factions' conflicts.

In fact, this kind of thing was very common. Gang members basically treat extortion, drug trafficking and fighting like three meals a day. At that time, the FBI and SWAT special police team was sent to suppress the mob's forces, in order to set an example for the others. Unfortunately Daniel was selected and thus became one of the targets. A double informant sold his whereabouts to the police, and he was caught by the FBI.

In order to escape the crime, he spent a staggering amount of money to hire a very capable lawyer. The lawsuit lasted for a full three years. But in the end, he was informed that the prosecution was lead by the federal government, and he has no other way out but to plead guilty. The federal government is always right-so even if you were arrested for buying soy sauce, you must plead guilty if you go to court. This is a matter of principle concerning the government's face. Of course, as for pleading guilty and being sentenced for several years, you can bargain with the prosecutor and the judge, exchange transactions with other fox and dog officials, or put gold(money) in the one of the two pans of the Lady Justice to make the balance weigh more on your side. But that's another story.

In short, Daniel spent most of his savings and finally 'persuaded' the 'Statue of Justice' at the door of the court to shorten his forty-year sentence to eleven years. During the lawsuit, he stayed in the detention center for three years. After the final trial, he continued to squat the rest of the sentence in Riker's Island Prison, and he was released from prison with two sleeves.

Daniel, who had just been released from prison, still had the idea of ​​making a comeback but it turned out that disasters always come one after another, his beloved second-rate-singer girlfriend ran away with the remaining millions of dollars in his account, together with some of his bodyguards. He then went to Mexico, but the places he used to lead was already swallowed up by the other members of Bloods. When he was just released from prison, he tried to contact his old subordinates, but he was almost tied up by the new boss and threw down the sea bay. He tried to contact other people but the ones he got in touch with weren't faring better than him-they could only give him a meager amount of money. The few who really stood out and were in a better position were not willing to see him.

In just seven years he was away from the society, the entire world had become unjust. The prison life was so monotonous that it obscured the concept of time, making him feel that he was betrayed not after several years, but just overnight.

He was angry, jealous, and resentful - he struggled, became depressed, and finally in the end, exhausted. The sharp lack of his material needs and the rapid decline in his living standards finally brought his focus back to the most primitive and practical items-eating, warming himself and having a place to live. All of these required money, and what he currently lacks the most, is money.

Money, money!!It kept piling up in a safe like stacks of straw when not needed, but it's so fucking hard to make it when he needed it the most! Just find a job first? Gas station, fast food restaurant ... No, he can't afford to lose his face! He was used to the life of being served by others, not the other way round! He would rather kill himself!

He walked to a vending machine on the corner, hesitated for a moment, and finally slotted the few coins left in his pocket in exchange for a small pot of coffee. He sipped the canned coffee as he sniffed it cherishingly, wondering about his future.

The glass cover of the vending machine vaguely reflected his figure- a tall, sturdy man, with short golden brown hair, and dark green eyes. If dressed well, he would be a very attractive and handsome guy. Now that he is down in the mud, he couldn't take care of his himself anymore thus, he haven't trimmed his facial hairs , cutting off some of his charm but nevertheless, his looks was still above average. However, that handsome face was filled with bitterness and deep hatred, his lips pursed in a thin line.

If you don't want to starve to the streets, you have to accept reality, Daniel. He swore silently to the reflection on the glass. He will find a way to get money -even if he had to steal-then start over, and climb to the position that belongs to you, once again!

As if God heard his inner cry, a window of opportunity opened in front of him-he suddenly found an advertisement flyer pasted on the wall behind the vending machine. The neat, black text said that a certain environmental protection agency was recruiting a group of volunteers to go to a remote place to participate in certain activities with "a certain degree of risk". The wildlife protection activities would last for a period of three months, and during which, food, transportation and expenses were all included. That kind of treatment was certainly unbelievable.

Daniel was not a young man eager to find his first job after graduating from school. He was well aware of the society's filth and the sinister hearts of people. He read the advertisement carefully with a questioning mentality, unusual place; No education, qualifications and physical required; only emphasizes the need to have a "dedication to environmental protection". What does this "dedication" mean? Are they going to a secluded virgin forest and try to survive like a cave man? Daniel sneered, feeling that his current state of life was not as good as those cave men- at least they are not worried about eating and drinking.

His eyes stayed on the salary figure for a long time. He counted the four zeros at the end of the number 3 and finally made up his mind. No matter how hard or tiring it would be, it's only for three months. As for the "certain degree of risk"...

...Hell, is there any more dangerous place in the world than a prison's bathroom? He had been in dozens of ruckus, and smashed seven or eight heads relentlessly on the tiles and iron pipes to protect his ass-although it was only limited to prevent others' certain behaviors towards him, but he really do have strength to fight back. It's just that he was too lazy to take care of those who couldn't cause him substantial harm.

After tearing off the advertisement, he dropped the empty coffee cup and proceeded to the recruitment address listed on the sheet.