Chapter 20: The Battle Of Deep Blue (1)

Li Biqing decided to find Leo and just when he was about to grab the door handle, he somewhat hesitated and slowly retracted his hand. "No, it's still too vague, with no more than 50% certainty; we have to analyze it again and wait..." He muttered to himself, as he stared at the chessboard on the coffee table.

"Wait? For what?" Rob asked, puzzled.

"For the next one or two chess pieces to appear..." Li Biqing murmured.

Rob turned his head to the black-and-white chessboard, and remembered the blood-stained pieces in the evidence bags he saw. He could almost imagine the victims' eyes as they widened in fear with their impeding death.

He suddenly understood what the other side was trying to say: Like using a ruler to draw a line using dots- the more dots there are, the more perfect the line is and the clearer the rules will be. But, those dots are not just non-living chess pieces, but human lives! Li Biqing wanted to wait for the next one or two victims to appear so that clearer patterns and clues would be revealed thus they would be closer to the truth and to the so-called rules set up by the killers. This is indeed a rational analysis and calm judgment -so rational and calm that it's almost cold-blooded!

He looked at the young Chinese man in front of him with surprise, trying to find the breath associated with this terrifying icy discourse from the other side's handsome features and polite behavior, but he failed- Li Biqing's face that was lost in thought didn't have a hint of shadow, as if he was just deducing a mathematical problem unrelated to life, so plain and pure.

At that moment, his instincts felt something from the other's words; a strange and fuzzy feeling passed by so slightly, and just as he was about to catch it, it completely disappeared without a trace.

What was that? An illusion?

Rob blinked his thick, curly eyelashes above those green eyes, and shook his head unconsciously. He must have let himself out too much in the nightclub last night, so he was still in a trance till today. The case at hand is annoying enough, why give myself more trouble? He quickly set this incident aside and asked, "Did you find something more about the killer?"

"Not yet, just a bit of speculation."

The phone rang in his pocket, Li Biqing took it out, answered in two sentences, and then gave Rob a bright smile: "Leo asked me to come; he said there's something fun."

Rob was stunned for a moment- he was struck by the sudden smile. He became more certain that it was an illusion just now, an aftermath caused by hangover. He scratched his hair with guilt, "Oh, of course, even Dr. Clement praised your talent in this area, let alone Kenson who had only been trained in BAU for some time. I'll take you up there."

.

.

.

In the Criminal Investigation and Analysis Office, Kenson showed the first-line information he had, concealing nothing. He and Biqing plunged into a lively discussion and even showed great tolerance for the latter's broken English with a Chinese accent. During this period, he repeatedly invited the other party to participate in the case analysis, and when the day was almost over, he could only reluctantly leave his mobile phone number. As the two shook hands and said their goodbyes, Rob could not help but glance at Leo and he found both hidden pride and worry on his partner's face.

"I had the same attitude when I discovered that the first girlfriend Xavier had made was a super hot girl." He patted Leo's shoulders sympathetically. "I am happy and worried, very contradictory, right? Good thing I didn't have a brother-complex, and I was able to adjust minutes later. But...It may be a bit difficult for you, man."