Chapter - 72

The next two days went in a flurry for Amrit. She had called up Jassi to discuss what she thought of the whole thing. And Jassi gave her opinion on the matter too. She categorically told Amrit that Natasha could never see anyone beyond herself so if she is there at the party there was a slim chance that nothing would go wrong but majorly things could take a turn. She was very unpredictable that way. Natasha may not do things openly preserving her reputation but if she found a little nook where she could do damage she would. So being careful wouldn't harm anybody. And Amrit took Jassi's advice to heart. Though she didn't let on but she was a little worried. Abhay seemed to be much better.

She had slept holding Abhay to her at nights now. And where she felt great Abhay hadn't protested either. But she wasn't sure if he felt good about the closeness or not. She was slowly discovering the potent effects of love and she could now clearly understand why Abhay had felt the way he had when he had loved Natasha. Though that was a dampener on her spirits but she didn't let that bother her much. She was happy in her newfound knowledge and she knew for a fact she wouldn't stand anybody hurting him again. No matter who it was. She was pretty ferocious that way.

But she couldn't help wonder how it would feel to be loved in the same manner? How it would be if Abhay was to feel the same for her? Would he? He had told her once he could never love another again and that also threw her hopes in a spiral but she knew she couldn't let the possibility of that never happening keep her from hoping. And that instantly had made her feel better. All she knew was she wanted Abhay to be happy and for that she would do whatever was required.

It was Saturday evening and as Amrit got ready she could feel the trepidation rise. Would she be able to hold herself against Natasha? That was if she was at the party. One part of Amrit wanted her to be there so she could at least see the person herself and another didn't want her to be there. She wasn't afraid of any confrontation but with both of them there Abhay might have no choice but compare the two and that kind of made her nervous. What would he think? How would he react? Seeing his past and present at the same time. Besides all of those worries Amrit wasn't sure the kind of reception she would get from the woman and those around her. Amrit looked at herself in the mirror. She had first thought of wearing a suit to the party because of her foot then decided against it. So she had selected a beautiful bottle green printed chiffon sari with a little bead work to make it look party wear. She wore a thin silver chain with a pearl pendant, matching earrings and a thin pearl bangle in each of her wrists. Her make-up was light but a stroke of dark kohl pencil across her eyes accentuated her eyes. She had pulled her hair to the back of her head and clipped it leaving the rest open. She wasn't sure how she looked. She never was. But she hoped she looked nice. Then wearing her flats she slowly went down the stairs to find Abhay.

He had been quiet all day today. Maybe he was restless too. Not that he had a choice. But she saw his eyes lit up as he watched her descend. And she smiled. He nodded his approval and Amrit was back to being her usual confident self. She could face anything now. Abhay helped her to the car and as she sat closed the door. Once they reached the ballroom they entered together. Abhay's hand at her back. Thankfully the first people to greet them were Jassi and Harpreet. But Amrit didn't miss the tension on their faces even though both tried to hide it. She smiled and nodded reassuringly to the other girl and that seemed to placate her immediately. Then they met a few other familiar faces. She kept her arm linked with Abhay's as they spoke and laughed with the others. She also met a few new officers. Some were married and some weren't. And it seemed they had just started to settle down.

"Hi, Abhay," Amrit heard a voice from behind them and while Abhay stiffened she turned her head to watch a tall man approaching them. From the corner of her eye she saw Harpreet pass a sympathetic smile to Abhay and Jassi purse her lips before she looked away.