Chapter - 8

Abhay heard every word she said. On one hand she was clearly telling him what her expectations were if they were married and on the other she had tried her best to make him believe she was a very uncompromising and non-adjusting person. In other words intimidate him. Too bad for her he wasn't easily intimidated.

She was a challenging person not to mention interesting too. He had been right when they had come up here that this would be interesting and she hadn't disappointed him in the least. Hell, he had even laughed. Not many could boast of that. She was witty he would give her that.

"I have some expectations too Amrit," he said and liked the way her name sounded to him. This was the first time he had addressed her. He didn't know how well she would receive him taking her first name but when she didn't protest he went ahead. "Like you I don't mince words so let me be clear. I don't like lies either and I am fine with transparency too. There are certain things that should be clear between a husband and wife. If you don't like something or have a problem I want to know. I may or may not have a solution but we can work it out but if I don't know about it I won't be able to help. I like the idea of being equal and partners and all that but most often than not people forget that and start taking the other for granted. I don't want that to happen to us that is if you and I are married," he said and as she nodded he went ahead. "As for giving you your space and respecting your ideas and opinions is concerned I was raised in a family where these things have been ingrained in us since we were kids but then that doesn't mean you forget your place within the family. Respect and love for all is mandatory just as you would expect me to extend the same to your loved ones. Individualism at the cost of family is something I will never accept," he said firmly, "Mostly my parents live in their house in Chandigarh or travel to Delhi because of dad's job and Jay, my brother lives in Bangalore so there will be not much interference on their parts but when they come I expect you to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of just as I would do if your family members visit," he said and paused giving her time to digest everything he was telling her.

When he thought she would intervene and say something he found her to be listening. He was mostly repeating what she had said only explaining her things from his point of view.

"Anything else," she said.

"Yes," he said, "I expect to be your best friend Amrit," and at the look of surprise she gave him smiled gently, "and I want you to be the same. Everything is workable, adjustable but not at the cost of happiness. If you are not happy we are not happy it is just that simple for me. So if anytime you think things are not going the way you want them to or you are feeling lonely or just plain frustrated for no apparent reason you have got to talk to me. If something is bothering you, it maybe nothing or you are having a bad hair day you have to tell me. I cannot see inside you to know automatically what is bothering you, am I clear," he said.

She nodded again. He spoke as if he had experience of these things. Strange. She had heard guilt in his voice at certain times and his insistence on her telling him how she felt was almost like a commandment. As if she could break every other rule but not that one. He would consider it a sin if she so much as broke that one commandment. Why so insistent? Most of what he had said made sense actually all of it. She had forgotten respect for her family or loved ones but he had voiced it. So in a way they were on similar pages. And she had been bowled over with his expectation to be her best friend. She had never in her wildest dreams thought of being best friends with the man she married. There was so much this man had to offer the temptation of saying yes was becoming stronger by the passing second.

"Anything else," she asked.

"Nope," he said smiling at her, "that should pretty much suffice it," he said.

"There is something bothering me," she said and he looked at her quizzically, "it was something beeji had said this afternoon when she was talking about you but it didn't register and now the way you have insisted on me telling you about how I feel and how it is crucial and all I want to know why is that," she asked.

"As I said if you don't tell I wouldn't know," he said, "say for example you have a headache sleeping late in to the day won't tell me you aren't well you have got to voice it," he explained.

"You know it is weird," she said, "but I can vow I heard a certain guilt and pain when you said those lines. Is there something I should know?" she asked.

Abhay wasn't sure what to say. Ma said her grandmother knew everything and that meant the family did too so why was she asking him this? Didn't she know? Did no one tell her about his past? Damn. Just when he thought he was progressing, here was the speed breaker. And a big one. She said she had heard guilt and pain funny he hadn't know he had made it that apparent. Amazing. And where he had refrained from pushing her out of sensitivity and because she had asked him to she hadn't felt shy about it. She was right she was pretty straightforward. He could do the same. But did he want to? He liked her. Strangely he did. He hadn't started out with that intent but as they had progressed he had found she was easy to talk to and he liked that. Would his answer make her say no? Well she was ready to say no anyway. And he had been too. Now he was debating of course, but he should be honest. Whatever happens will be for the best. He wasn't sure if he would be able to face rejection but he had to tell her. It was the best way, keep everything out in the open. Besides her past was probably not as bad as his.

"You don't know?" he asked wondering if she was double checking.

"Know what?" she asked with a frown.

"So no one told you?" he asked.

"What is the big secret?" she asked impatiently.

Abhay knew instantly she had no clue. Her family hadn't told her yet. Did they want to tell her at all? He wasn't sure but he knew what his answer would be.

"I am divorced," he said quietly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!