Chapter - 27

It was Amrit's first night with Abhay, alone as husband and wife and she found it was quite nerve racking. She was a nervous wreck no matter how much she tried to show otherwise. Just trying to open her suitcase had become a chore. She had been trying to use the key but it just failed to turn. Two times she had dropped it on the carpet her fingers shook so badly and now that she had finally managed to put it in the lock it refused to turn. She was ready to scream when she heard the door to their hotel room open and Abhay walked in.

He took one glance at her and knew there was a problem. He narrowed his gaze and she gave him a nervous smile. He walked right in and stood next to her near the bed.

"The key won't turn," she said a little nervously.

Abhay shook his head and took the key from her hand and then turned it. There was a distinct click and the handles snapped open.

Amrit looked away sheepishly. Damn. She needed to change out of this and get into her normal clothes. She was done playing dress up. Not that she hadn't enjoyed it but it was more work than play and her jaws had started to ache keeping that smile in place. How did girls do that? Thankful for her wonderful height she didn't need to wear heels if she had been doing that God knows how she would have managed. The heavy clothes were pulling her down and the lobes of her ears ached with the heavy danglers not to mention her aching head. To keep the long, thick hair and the curls in place the salon lady had used a lot of hair spray and a fifty or so hair pins. She just needed to be normal then she would feel her old self again.

She quickly took out a salwar kameez and went to the washroom. Once inside she removed the ear rings and kept them in the box. She washed her face thoroughly removing the makeup. It took three washes before she got rid of all the layers that had been put there. She applied her moisturizer to keep her skin hydrated. Then changed out of her sari into the salwar kameez. She couldn't remove her maroon bangles for another month or so and she frowned. What a beacon? 'Look here I just got married.' Some girls actually liked to wear it for over a year. She wondered how. Anyway since she was stuck with it she decided to remove the hairpins. It was a tough job. Not to mention painful. It took her about twenty minutes to get rid of all of them. She combed her hair and tied it at the base of her neck with a band. She had forgotten to take out the necklace. She tried to undo the clasp but it wouldn't come off seemed it was stuck. Just as the key had been stuck in the lock. She wouldn't ask Abhay for help a second time. As it is she needed to apologize and thank him not necessarily in that order. He had stood up for her and Varun hadn't been very nice to him either. She sighed. Why did she have to be related to someone like her sister and her husband? Someone knocked bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Yes," she said.

"Are you okay," Abhay asked concerned, "you have been in there for over an hour," he said.

"Coming," she said a little wobbly.

Why couldn't her mother love her just as much as she loved Simrit? She hated this. And she hated crying even more. She had done enough of that to last her a lifetime. She quickly took in a couple of deep breaths and opened the door.

Abhay was sitting on the chair near the window with his laptop open in front of him. He looked up from where he sat. She was back to looking her usual self. And he was glad. This was the Amrit he knew and recognized. And hopefully she wouldn't play havoc with his senses anymore. How mistaken he was going to be he was going to realize pretty soon.

"Are you going to wear that and sleep?" he asked.

Amrit looked at her clothes and looked at him.

"Is something wrong with that?" she counter asked.