Chapter - 14

Abhay thought her smile transformed her face completely. She looked beautiful. And he just sat there watching her. It was so sweet and generous it lit up her whole face. He was amazed to see what a little smile could do. As for her clothes the maroon kurta with black embroidery and black churidaar suited her. She wasn't wearing any dupatta she didn't need one. Even her long black hair he had been admiring since she had walked in was tied in a loose braid. It made her look a bit mature but it was so much better than what she had done to it yesterday. Why was he so interested in her? He would get married for no other reason than his mother's wish. He hadn't listened to her the last time and now he wanted to make her happy. In his eyes it was the only way to atone for the mistake he had made. He had been hurt but so was his family. Natasha hadn't spared anyone.

Then why was he asking her questions? Why was he making sure he was making the right choice? Because he didn't want to suffer pain again. He was better off alone, unattached than being with anyone. But every time he spoke to her he was pulled towards her for some unknown reason. He could sense anger and bitterness in her but her sensibility and thoughts intrigued him. He had yet to meet a woman with so much spirit for what she believed in and her sense of humor though dry was remarkable.

He had been thinking about how to broach the subject of intimacy with her. How to tell her he was not ready for it so soon? He needed time to get to know her, to let their relationship evolve into something meaningful if that would happen and then get into building a family with her. And she had surprised him by taking up the issue herself. He had been so not expecting it that when it came he thought he had made a mistake and heard it wrong hence the choking and the coughing. She was refreshing that way. Her level of maturity amazed him. Normally girls felt shy of talking about these things or did not even consider these topics as important. Even the fact that she was concerned about his physical well-being medically. How many people did ask that question before marriage? Not many according to him.

Though she had hit a raw nerve with the mention of his previous marriage. But she hadn't known and she reserved the right to know. He was sorry he had come out stronger than he should have to the point of sounding bitter but she seemed to have understood. Strange. How come she understood when sometimes his friends couldn't? She was a perfect stranger so was he to her. They didn't know anything about each other beyond what they were telling each other. Was she too good to be true? Was she always so astute? What if she wasn't? What if she was pretending? But no one could be that good. Natasha was, a small voice of doubt told him. He was torn between voice of experience and his instinct. How much had Natasha destroyed his trust in others before she had left?

But this was not the time to go into self-analysis. He had to take a decision today. He watched her as she finished her coffee. The smile had gone back into hiding. And he kind of missed it. She was leaving on a four o'clock train and he looked at his wrist watch. It was close to twelve fifteen.

"Amrit," he said, "there is a request, if it is okay with you and going forward if we do get married can we have a small ceremony and not a lavish one. Just with close friends and family," he said quietly.

He wasn't sure if she would want that because it was her wedding too and since she didn't have a past memory of being wed lavishly she would comply.

"Hey," Amrit said, "that is a good idea. How come I didn't think about it," she said as if not happy the idea didn't come from her, "I am fine with a small wedding ceremony," she said.

Abhay furrowed his brows a little. She didn't use the word 'if'. Maybe he was reading too much. But he felt his decision being formed in his mind. She was the best bet so far out of all the girls he had seen. His instincts were rarely wrong and they were telling him to say yes to this proposal. He sighed.

"Alright then," he said and took out his wallet when she put a hand on his and stopped him. Her touch was so light and soft for a second he stared at her hand on his.

"Look I am not asserting feministic rights here but I will pay for my coffee," she said firmly. "You are neither my boyfriend, my husband not even a friend so please I will pay for my coffee and don't take this any other way," she added, "maybe in the future but not now, okay," she said.

Abhay nodded. It was more out of respect for her than anything else. And she removed her hand. They paid for their respective coffees and left. He offered to drop her but she told him she needed to go to the market first and then go home. He waited till she took an auto and left. He took out his glasses and went towards his car.

Driving back to the guest house he wondered if this was the right thing to do considering his tendency to distrust any personal relationship anymore and his empty cold heart. Then he was reminded of how his family wanted him to move ahead and for that he needed to take this first step. He hoped destiny won't ditch him a second time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!