Chapter - 47

Abhay arrived at Amrit's house around seven thirty in the evening. The place was lit up as if it was Diwali. He cringed at the amount of flower decorations near where he parked. Kulraj's engagement was on Sunday, it was only Friday evening why was there so much noise? He hated large gatherings. But it seemed his in laws were taking their revenge on him. After all they hadn't done preparations in his wedding to their heart's content so they decided to go overboard this time round. He shook his head. What a waste of money? He got down and went towards the inner courtyard and he paused at the entrance. There were so many people he wondered if he had come to the wrong address. He took out his phone from the pocket of his white kurta and called Amrit.

She had called him in the afternoon to tell him she had reached safely. And he had felt his heart elate at the sound of her voice. Even her thoughtfulness had been appreciated by him. After all she had felt it necessary to call him after she reached so he didn't worry. She was a responsible girl and that was a sweet thought. When he had reached the house around four he had felt strange. It had only been two weeks since they had started living together but he had already gotten used to her presence in the house. She was always there when he returned no matter what the time. And it had seemed empty. Too quiet. He had gone upstairs to find his kurta and pajama already ironed and neatly kept out for him on the bed. All he could do was smile. She had thought of everything, she had even made him pack his clothes for the next two days Thursday evening and taken the bag with her. He hadn't been allowed to argue. He liked the way she asserted her rights every now and then but he also knew she did that only with him. He had seen her interact with Jassi and Harpreet though she had acknowledged them as her friends too but she never took liberty with them unlike Jassi who was always doing the opposite. But that was Jassi and this was Amrit. He had taken a shower and then changed into the outfit his thoughtful wife had taken out for him. He was about to leave when he had found the note at the back of the front door. Funny he hadn't seen it before but then he had had his back to it as he had closed it. He had taken it to find a neat handwriting mentioning something about rolls in the fridge and how he should heat them and eat them before coming. It was signed by Amrit. So madam wanted him to have some snacks before he drove to Ambala. Damn, the woman was caring and she was slowly melting the ice around is heart, this way she would worm her way right in and soon. Would he be ready for that kind of emotion? Would he be able to love again? Was he that strong? What if he made a mistake again? Hell. He couldn't doubt himself like that. What would he do if he really did land up in that situation? But it was later for much later. Right then he had needed to hurry so he had gone to the fridge and found the plate with plastic wrap around it. She must have made it before she had left. He found it endearing. He had quickly heated up the rolls and eaten them before locking the door and leaving. It would take about two and a half hours to three before he reached.

Now that he was here he had to call up his wife to come meet him at the entrance or get lost in the maze of people that were surrounding him none of whom he recognized. How many relatives did the Vij have?

"Hello," Abhay heard the familiar voice at the end of the phone and he breathed a sigh of relief, he hadn't been sure if she had her cell with her or not, "Abhay?" she said.

"Hi," Abhay replied, "are you somewhere in the courtyard?" he asked.

"Yes," Amrit replied then after a second of pause, "are you here?" she asked.

"Yes," Abhay said, "at the entrance. Is it possible for you to come get me," he said hesitantly, "I am not sure I will be able to find my way in this big a crowd," he said and smiled.

"Wait, I am coming," he heard Amrit say and the phone was shut.

He waited as he watched the milieu in front of him. Seriously, where were so many people living? He knew his in laws had a big house but even that big a house couldn't accommodate so many people he was positive. Before he could think more he saw Amrit coming towards him. And he couldn't look at anybody but her. He felt relieved at seeing her. She looked so beautiful. She was wearing a burgundy brocade suit with sequin work around the neck and a simple necklace set. Her hair was tied in a fancy braid at least that was what he could make of it. She smiled as she came towards him and he felt he had come home. Weird. But it was as if wherever she was it was home for him. He smiled too. As she came and stood in front of him still smiling he hugged her. If she was surprised he didn't see that. After a few seconds he released her and saw her get all conscious. He had to laugh.