Chapter - 58

Abhay sat next to Amrit as she slept on. Somewhere in the middle she had fidgeted and he had held her hand in his. She had calmed down after that. He had checked her forehead but she seemed fine. There was no fever. It was almost evening now and she had been sleeping for over four hours. Abhay would have gotten worried had she had fever or any signs of pain but she seemed fine. He had been thinking over and over again about what beeji had told him. No wonder she hadn't been able to talk about it. She had kept her emotions bottled up inside so much so she had changed because of them but she hadn't been able to get them out. He gently stroked the side of her head. How much pain did she carry inside?

His instinct was telling him to get up and take her away. But he knew he couldn't. Beeji was right. It was not Kulraj's fault and she should not suffer for whatever happened. He could hear some music play downstairs so at least things were being projected to be normal in front of the people who were present here apart from the family. Amrit stirred and then opened her eyes. They were red and so swollen but Abhay was glad she was awake.

"How are you feeling?" he asked gently.

She looked confused then as if things came back to her and she looked away trying to sit up. He helped her. Once she sat upright he moved a little away giving her the space she needed to feel comfortable.

"Water?" he asked quietly.

She still didn't look at him but nodded her head in assent. He rose and gave the glass to her. She took it and finished the contents. Her throat felt parched. Raw. As things became clearer she wasn't sure what she had told Abhay or how he had taken things. She didn't remember anything after he had come in and she had almost choked him to death.

"I am sorry," she said hoarsely.

"Why are you being sorry Amrit?" Abhay asked gently as he took the empty glass from her hands and kept it on the side table.

"I don't know," she muttered and looked at the clasped hands in her lap.

How was she going to face him after what had happened today? What would he think of her? He already knew she had a sharp tongue but now he also knew she was violent. She wanted to cry all over again. Why didn't she just leave when beeji had asked her to? Oh yes, Simrit's comment about Abhay had angered her.

"Look at me," he said gently but there was a steely firmness behind his voice.

She wanted to obey. But she wasn't sure what she would find there. And that made her nervous. She wouldn't be able to handle contempt if there was one or even pity. But he wouldn't ask her twice she knew that. So taking in a deep breath she raised her head. She forgot to expel the breath she had taken when she looked at him. There was understanding in his eyes and his expression was gentle. But when she looked carefully she also saw anger and pain. She frowned. Why was he angry? And why was there pain? Did someone say something to him while she had been sleeping with exhaustion? If someone did she would rip apart her family this time consequences be damned.

Abhay watched her expression change from confusion to anger in a matter of seconds. Now what had got her riled? Before he could ask her she started talking.

"Why are you angry?" Amrit asked the frown still in place.

Abhay wasn't aware she read him this accurately. Though he had calmed down but he still couldn't believe how things had gotten this ugly and that had angered him. How a mother could differentiate between her own kids? It had pained him to see Amrit like this.

"I am angry because I am not sure why no one stopped what happened today?" he said evenly, "I am angry because you were hurt when I was not there?" he told her. "I am not sure if it was done deliberately and that makes me angry," he said but he kept his voice under control.