Chapter - 7

Amrit looked mutely at him. She hadn't been expecting him to catch on. She didn't know what she had been expecting but not this. From the moment she had been told Abhay was the one with a white full sleeves shirt with thin blue stripes and black pants she had seemed to be hooked. Yes, he was good looking so was his brother who sat next to him but there was something else too. He was intelligent she could make that out even as she was carrying the tray. He was watching everyone with a mild interest but his eyes were alert, his stance was relaxed but he was aware of what was going on around him. He was a good looking man or so she had thought till she had seen him from a close proximity. Good looking was an understatement. He was handsome as hell with his long lean face and square jaw, thin well shaped lips and beautiful eyes. She was surprised to see he had long lashes it was something girls boasted about. His hair was short and neatly combed not unruly or long. Man she hated men who had hair like that.

She was irritated. First it was the bloody dupatta, despite the pin it kept shifting. Second her mother had come in to the kitchen and repeated the instructions for the ten thousandth time. Third when she was made to sit next to beeji it didn't matter Kulraj sat on the other side and then the idea of a terrace garden. She had been very conscious of the silent tall man walking behind her. She had been irritated with how she had found his musky fragrance appealing. So when they had reached the terrace she had been relieved and she had decided to let a bit of her steam off. That was why she had been sarcastic. But his reply had put her off balance. And then the question. How had he read her so easily? He was a dangerous man but she needed to find her wits. So for the time being she shrugged.

"You are in the army I am told," she said instead.

"Yes," he replied still smiling.

But she wasn't fooled. His eyes were watching her with interest. Why was that? She hoped he wouldn't get any wrong ideas.

"Would you mind terribly if I removed this dupatta from my head," she said, "I am not used to it and it is irritating me," she said.

So it was the dupatta Abhay thought.

"Sure," he said, "whatever makes you comfortable," he told her.

And saw her heave a sigh of relief as she quickly removed the pin and then the dupatta. She shook her head. She looked up at him and found him watching her. She felt a little conscious and quickly looked away. She was tall too so she didn't have to really crane her neck to see his face.

"If you don't like wearing dupatta on your head then why did you?" he asked curiously.

"Because showing a bit of tradition is good," she said and at the quizzical look on his face explained, "not my words my chachi's," she said.

"Kulraj's mother," he said accurately.

Amrit nodded. She was surprised again that he remembered who it was or even who Kulraj was. But then he was intelligent. How she had come to that conclusion she didn't know but it was the truth and she somehow knew it.

"So you would do whatever she asks you to," he asked.

"Normally I don't do anything anyone asks me to," she replied lightly which was also the truth it was better he knew what he was getting into than crib later, "I am my own person but beeji had wanted me to behave nicely so," she said and shrugged.

Abhay thought about what she said. Of course she was her own person and he was getting to understand what that look she had given her beeji was all about. Maybe she had a strong personality and everyone would be worried if it came out then he might say no.

"Is that so I would say yes?" he asked.

She looked at him. He did know what he was talking about. He wasn't pretending to be smart he was. What answer should she give? If she tells him the truth then what happens? And if she doesn't then what? She decided to go with the truth. He seemed like a nice person even understanding she should probably leave it to him to decide what he wanted to.