Chapter - 69

The next morning Abhay helped Amrit brush her teeth and change her clothes. Then he brought her downstairs and settled her onto the couch. He was to be away for half a day at work and he made sure she had everything within her reach. Water, medicines, food, juice, phone even books in case she got bored. There was no need for her to get up at all unless she had to go to the washroom. Even then he had brought her a walking stick she could use to walk rather than hobble or jump on one foot. He had promised to be back before noon. And had told her Jassi had volunteered to babysit her and she would come with breakfast for her. Then reluctantly he had left.

Amrit had dozed off again but had woken up when she had heard the front door open. She was feeling much better. The fever had all but gone. And that had seemed to relax Abhay too maybe that was why he had decided to go to the office and finish off his work otherwise he would have stayed back. She was still basking in her newfound knowledge on how she loved him. She had never thought it could happen to her. Even when she had said yes to Abhay it had never occurred to her that she would fall in love with him. But she had to agree now that something even at that time had been pulling her towards him. Though she was not much of a believer in destiny and how you find that one person who is meant for you she couldn't help but revise her opinion. Maybe that was why his marriage had failed because they weren't meant to be together. That made her frown a little. It wasn't a nice thought. When she heard the door open she opened her eyes and turned to find Jassi entering with a huge smile on her face.

"Hey," she said in her usual loud manner.

Amrit smiled. Since the day she had opened up about her past it suddenly had become easier to smile.

"Hey," she replied.

"I heard you got into trouble," Jassi said as she walked all the way in and put her big bag on the coffee table. "You do look bad you know," she said as she peered into Amrit's face.

"I am much better today than I was yesterday," Amrit responded, "Abhay almost flipped," she told her friend.

Jassi raised her eyebrows as if in disbelief.

"You must be getting to him then," she said mischievously then winked at her, "though it is high time now. I am all in support of it. That man needs a firm hand," she said and laughed.

Amrit laughed too.

"I couldn't disagree on that," she replied and watched as Jassi sat down in a fluff on the broad chair and adjusted herself to her comfort.

"Damn, these chairs are really getting irritating now," she complained, "just can't find a comfortable position. My back is killing me carrying all this weight around," she said and patted her belly.

"You need pillows," Amrit asked raising herself when Jassi waved her off.

"There is no comfort there too," she said, "I need a firm back, straight actually that helps, pillows are useless," she told her.

Amrit lay back down.

"How bad is your foot?" she asked.

"Umm, it seems to be doing better today actually," Amrit replied, "Yesterday, for a second I had thought I had broken it," she said.

"Yeah, Abhay told me," Jassi said thoughtfully, "I was livid with Harpreet for not being there to help," she said and huffed.

"Hey, he was on a shift at the hospital besides the resident doctor was there so no worries," Amrit said trying to defend Harpreet but it seemed Jassi was in a mood to not listen.

"I didn't spoken to him all evening," she said as if upset.

Amrit didn't know why but she felt Jassi not talking to Harpreet had nothing to do with him not being of help to them. She looked more closely at her friend now and found lines of strain around her eyes and mouth. Why was she feeling like this? Maybe they had a disagreement on something. It happened between couples all the time and it seemed Jassi was distressed because of it. Should she ask? Maybe not. It was personal. So she kept quiet.