Chapter - 46

Amrit looked out at the familiarity of the city. She had just entered the city limits of Ambala. She had wanted to come with Abhay but he had to be in office today and would come in towards late evening. She was here to attend Kulraj's engagement. Her interview yesterday had gone well and she had no doubt she would get the job. And she had been excited. Abhay had been very supportive and happy for her. His patience with her was amazing. Anybody else would have lost it by now especially the way she had behaved on Wednesday but he hadn't even blinked an eye and his admittance to liking her well that had thrown her off balance for a while. That mischievous, teasing lilt of his voice, the music, the way they had been so close, his breath on her cheek and whisper in her ear she had felt she had wanted to swoon at his feet in that moment and the way he had laughed. She had been mesmerized. He was a devil for sure. But she had learnt one thing. She should try to be a little more patient, it was a good quality and she really needed it.

Abhay had promised once they returned he would enroll her into driving classes. She needed to use that license she carried around a little more than its current usage. For now he had arranged for a taxi for her travel. How thoughtful was he? Always thinking about her comfort first. She felt all mushy at that thought. What was happening to her? Did the close proximity she shared with Abhay the cause for this? Or was it him? She had pondered over and over but couldn't come up with one answer that would make any sense to her and what didn't make sense usually irritated her. She didn't like questions go unanswered. As of now she didn't have much time to ponder over anything as she reached her house. The taxi parked in the outer courtyard, she got down and the driver took out her bags. She had brought Abhay's too so he could just change at home and come. He had already paid the fare for the taxi so she didn't have to do anything. As the taxi left she took in a deep breath and went inside. Since it was a big family affair Simrit and Varun would be very much here and she was sure her sister wouldn't leave one opportunity to vex her.

Amrit went towards the inner courtyard and she was a bit perplexed to see so many people already here. They saw her and she had to greet every single one plus answer their queries as to why she came alone or how was she or how were her in laws? It seemed Abhay was having an effect on her, normally she wouldn't oblige but today she seemed to be in the mood. Finally she decided she had had enough and had gone straight to beeji's room. Once inside she took a sigh of relief and then saw beeji as she sat on her couch with some fabrics in her hand.

"Amrit," Beeji said as she spotted her, "when did you arrive?" she asked with a smile.

Amrit went to her and hugged her in greeting.

"About forty minutes ago," Amrit said.

"Then why are you still carrying the bags around besides why didn't anyone tell me you were here," she asked with a frown.

"Because I have yet to meet the members of my family," Amrit replied as she sat down in a huff opposite to beeji, "why are so many people here already? The engagement is to take place on Sunday evening," she complained.

"Your engagement and wedding happened really fast and because you wanted a small gathering we sent the invites to limited people and that too very late," beeji explained, "so this time Nihal and Nimmi wanted a big gathering and well," she said and shrugged.

"But already," Amrit said and shook her head.

"Where is Abhay?" beeji asked.

"In office," Amrit replied, "he couldn't take an off today but he will come towards late evening," she said.

"Hmmm," beeji said then as if an afterthought added, "Simrit and Varun arrived last evening," she told her.

Amrit had known this time both husband wife duo would leave no stone unturned to keep attention to themselves. It didn't matter. Not this time. She couldn't have fun in her own wedding so she wanted to enjoy her time here besides Kulraj was close to her. She did not want anything bad to take place during her special time.

"It is okay beeji," Amrit replied, "I am here to have a good time and that is exactly what I am going to do," she said assuring beeji.

"Wow Amrit," beeji said appreciatively, "Abhay seems to be having a great effect on you," she said teasing her.

"No," Amrit said a bit irritated with beeji, "he has nothing to do with it. I just don't want to engage Simrit in any kind of battle and only because I know how it feels when your special day is ruined by one of your own. And that is the only reason. Kulraj is dear to me beeji I wouldn't want to jeopardize her engagement in any way," she said firmly, "but that doesn't mean that I will let Simrit be. If she deliberately tries to act smart she will hear it from me. I have forgotten nothing and forgiveness is beyond me," she told her grandmother who was looking at her reflectively.

Beeji didn't say anything. She just hoped Simrit was smart enough to stay away from Amrit. Though she had a hunch that won't happen. Amrit had already made her intentions clear she wouldn't deliberately get into uneasy situations but she wouldn't shy away either. Beeji was confident Amrit would abide by her words it was Simrit that worried her. Knowing her beeji was positive she would deliberately try to set Amrit off.

"Alright," beeji said, "go and keep your bags in your room we got it ready for you and Abhay," she said, "since we have so many relatives here we will be starting with some pre engagement celebrations. I will let Roop know you are here," she said.

Amrit rose and hugged her grandmother before she picked up the bags and left for her room. She hoped that just for this weekend her sister would behave if that was possible. Only she knew Simrit wasn't one to stay quiet.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!