Chapter - 33

Abhay sat quietly as he ate. Amrit was a great cook. There was no doubt. She had made dal and bhindi not to mention dry chicken and it was absolutely delicious. He didn't know what else to say. He had come back around nine and she had waited for him to have dinner. He hadn't wanted to but it had felt nice to come home to someone waiting for you. He realized his priorities had changed as he had matured. Previously Natasha's presence or absence hadn't bothered him all that much. Her need to be constantly around people and friends had amused him only later it had started becoming irritated.

He hadn't been able to keep Amrit out of his thoughts all day. And that had irritated him a bit but every time he remembered her laughter he felt good. Not that he was the cause for it but that didn't matter. Her face had kept interfering with his concentration. But it had been a busy day. An unexpected meeting with his senior over some issue they were facing had caused him delay. So he had arranged for a car for her to go get whatever she had wanted. Only later it had occurred to him that he could have sent money to her. How had she managed to pay up for everything she had got? It was something he hadn't thought about before. But he will have to make some kind of arrangement for her so she didn't feel she had to ask him for money every time she had to go get something or even if she didn't need to buy something. He decided he would open an account for her the coming weekend and deposit a certain amount so she could use the debit cards when she wanted. And give her the authority to use that account as she deemed fit. That would be a great idea. She could use the same account later too when she started working again.

"I met Jaswinder today in the market," Amrit said as she took a sip of water.

"You mean Jassi," Abhay asked.

"Yes," Amrit said, "but her name is Jaswinder, right?" she asked wondering if she had heard it correctly.

"Yes," Abhay said and smiled fondly, "but no one knows her by that name in fact she doesn't even like it. According to her it doesn't suit her personality she likes being called Jaz but Harpreet wants her to just keep it to Jassi," he said.

Amrit reflected on what he had just told her. He seemed to be fond of Jassi. And she remembered what Jassi had told her. Abhay treated her as a sister he never had.

"Yes, well, she invited us over for dinner on Friday," Amrit said quietly.

"And what did you say?" Abhay asked curiously.

"I told her I would ask you but she insisted and I had to say yes," Amrit replied.

"Amrit, is something wrong?" Abhay asked.

"No, why?" she asked.

"Because you are trying to change yourself," Abhay said as he kept his spoon down, "as far as I know you do not like to be dictated things to so why this sudden change?" he asked as watched her.

Amrit sighed. She hated doing that but the constant whether Abhay would like this or whether he would like that, the constant doubts were driving her nuts.

"I know," she said quietly then quickly added, "it is difficult you know when you are used to taking decisions all by yourself and then suddenly you find you need to take other people into consideration as well," she said, "it is driving me nuts," she said grumpily.

"Then why are you doing it?" Abhay asked.

"Because I don't know what is the correct behavior around you," she said with a humph, and Abhay raised an eyebrow, "you know what is frustrating that I know you wouldn't object, wouldn't mind but the constant pressure of what if you did so I get unsure and besides I don't know Jassi at all so to suddenly meet her and then the invite and the fact that I have no clue about your relationship with them so I guess I am just coping with being married," she said and put her chin in her palm and her elbow on the table.