Chapter - 40

Abhay looked at the silent figure that sat in the passenger seat peering out the window. They were headed for Kasauli which they would be reaching in about another fifteen minutes or so. All the way here Amrit hadn't said a word to him and all because he had insisted on driving himself instead of taking a taxi. She was very stubborn that way. Abhay couldn't help but smile. He was feeling fine and he had told her so but she hadn't listened threatening him with a phone call to Harpreet but he hadn't given in and he had also removed the sling. Kasauli wasn't so far only an hour and a half drive from Pathankot. He had driven the car carefully not straining his right arm too much. But it seemed Amrit was upset with him over this. She probably worried too much. And that needed getting used to a bit. Natasha had never been like that and since his divorce he had been living alone doing things his way but now that he was married to Amrit he had to take her into consideration as well. He had already arranged for a room at the army guest house in Kasauli after a lot of nagging and bullying from both Jassi and Harpreet last evening. They were to stay in Kasauli for a day only. He didn't like her this quiet so he decided to break the silence.

"You sure you don't want to talk to me?" Abhay asked cheerfully.

Amrit glared at him not that it fazed him his smile only broadened.

"I am fine Amrit you are worrying over nothing," he said as he glanced at her then straight ahead on the road.

That did it.

"Worrying over nothing?" she said almost screeching. "You were shot. I don't care if that wound is just a scratch. But how does it concern me? In your opinion being macho is more important than being careful. I will not take care of you if you fall sick because of an infection," she said and looked out the window.

Amrit had been livid with him so much so she hadn't spoken to him at all. No matter how much she asked him to take it easy and take a taxi he refused to heed a word. So, well, if he was being stubborn so was she. She didn't care if he thought it was immature of her to do something like that but if he was going to ignore reason she was going to ignore him too. Though he drove carefully. Taking care he did not strain his injured arm the damn man had even removed the sling. She had threatened him with a call to Harpreet but he had laughed it off. What was she supposed to do? As they neared the city she looked curiously at him. She couldn't see his eyes as they were covered with his glasses. Those aviators suited him so well. Hell, he was handsome. The devil. Why was she calling him names? Because she was upset with him a tiny voice replied. How could he take his injury so lightly?

"I thought you weren't talking to me," he replied with mirth.

Amrit decided not to even look at him. Why was she so worried? Damn she was becoming soft. She will have to watch out else she will become all mushy. What was happening to her? Where was her control? She was upset because he wasn't taking care of himself. But he was a grown man he knew what he was doing. He was levelheaded, mature and experienced. Then why was her heart not listening to her? She was so upset. Her lips trembled a little. The emotion whatever it was, was choking her. She had never felt this way before and so to handle her feelings right now was a bit too much. Why were men such idiots? Why did they never listen to reason especially if their wife gave them one? Was it ego? Or just plain male brains?

"I have better things to do," Amrit replied hotly.

"Like?" Abhay asked amused.

"Why should I tell you?" she countered. "If you don't listen to a sound of reason then why should I tell you anything?" she said.

"Because we are friends," Abhay said quietly.

That made her look at him. Now he was acting hurt. Really? He was going to play the emotional card on her now. Damn the man but he looked so earnest practically adorable despite his obstinate nature.