Chapter - 50

Amrit woke up to a bright sunny day. She watched as Abhay slept in. She was surprised but she guessed he was tired after yesterday evening. The party hadn't ended till midnight. Besides he had been made to dance with her, not to mention he had stopped to help after the party got over which had been late into the night. She had wanted to help but he had asked her to get some sleep. She had thought of waiting up but the moment her head had touched the pillow she had fallen asleep. She had a vague idea about the time he had come in about three in the morning. Plus he had been up since five the previous morning and the office work and the drive. She watched him as he slept. Funny how she had never noticed how peaceful he looked when he slept. Maybe because they both were early risers. She smiled then got up quietly and went to get ready. She was sure another pre-engagement party was to take place this evening and as more people would arrive every hand would be needed to help out. She decided to let Abhay rest a bit more before she brought his tea.

After she had taken a bath and changed she crept out of the room because she knew Abhay was a light sleeper. Then went down the stairs to the kitchen. The servants had already begun preparations for morning tea. For the meals there were already a separate group of people who were taking care of breakfast, lunch and dinner. She supervised before her mother arrived. Amrit greeted her mother and heard her mother respond hesitantly. Amrit sighed and taking two cups of tea left. She had almost reached her room when she met Simrit on the stairs. She was still in her night clothes yawning away.

"Up quite early aren't you?" she commented as she saw her all ready.

Amrit refused to answer and moved to the side to walk past her.

"Taking tea for your dear husband," Simrit snickered, "I never knew you to be so devoted," she taunted.

Amrit gritted her teeth. She remembered it was Kulraj's event and she should not let Simrit affect her so. She kept going.

"Marriage did really good for you," Simrit called out and Amrit paused, "you should have gotten married to the first person after your engagement broke," she said sarcastically.

Amrit turned and smiled coldly.

"At least marriage did something good for me whether it is soon or late time will tell," she said and smiled sarcastically, "unfortunately for you it didn't do anything except make you worse," she said, "I think you should never have gotten married at least you were tolerable before but now," she said and shook her head as if pitying her and smiling went off towards her room.

She had seen the fury in Simrit's eyes before she had turned and walked off. She knew for sure Simrit wouldn't let this end here. She had seen the determination in the set of her jaw. Oh, it seemed it was going to be a long day. She entered her room and found Abhay was already up and dressed. He was still in his way to wear his sandals.

"Good morning," she said with a smile. Her small meeting with Simrit forgotten. For the past few days Abhay had become more important than anything else. And she wanted to savor these moments without delving too deep in to her feelings for now.

"Good morning," Abhay replied with a smile.

"You missed a great opportunity," Amrit said as she went to put the tray on the table.

"Opportunity?" Abhay asked confused.

"Yup," Amrit said lightly, "a great opportunity of being pampered with tea in bed," she said and smiled mischievously, "now you will just have to do with tea in the room and take it yourself too," she said as she took a cup for herself and sat in the chair.

Abhay smiled. He liked this lighter side of Amrit. Her little teases, her mischievous smiles, the twinkle in her eyes. He had been concerned last evening what with Varun and Simrit around but then he had relaxed as he realized she didn't want to give in to any of their provocations. She seemed happy and that much elusive quality of patience seemed to be very much present yesterday. The fact that she could take jokes when handed out and give them back hadn't escaped his notice. Natasha had never been the one to take any jokes and the jokes she played on others were well...they couldn't really be classified as something that one could laugh about.