Chapter - 16

Amrit went straight to beeji's room when she reached home. She saw her mother hovering outside the room but she didn't ask her to come in. Beeji was sitting on the sofa when she went in and looked up from the newspaper she had been reading.

"So, how did it go?" beeji asked.

"How do you think it went?" Amrit asked.

"Is there going to be a day when you would give a straight answer," beeji said.

"You will have a heart attack that day I don't want you to go so soon," Amrit said dryly and sat near beeji.

"Have you taken a decision?" beeji asked patiently.

"Yes," she replied in a straight manner.

"Good," beeji said, "so when are you getting engaged?" she asked.

"Engaged?" Amrit said a little loudly, "I haven't even told you what I have decided?" she said incredulously. "You know beeji you need to stop being so presumptuous," she advised.

"I am not being presumptuous girl," Beeji said, "I know you and I know myself even better. Have you ever seen me being wrong about anything?" she asked. "Though in Kulraj's case I do want to be wrong," she said and Amrit heard the worry in her voice.

"You want me to talk to her?" Amrit asked.

"And have the drama squad give me headache for days, no thank you," beeji said, "I realize that after some time you can only do so much. She is old enough to take her own decisions and be responsible for them. I told her a little while ago if anything goes wrong and she comes back crying I will have her hide," she said firmly.

And Amrit was sure she will. Beeji wasn't the kind of person who would forget or forgive easily. She would make you miserable and if that wasn't enough she wouldn't let you live it down with her constant comments. In some way Amrit was like her. She could never forget or forgive. It just wasn't her.

"Now coming back to you," Beeji said seriously, "what have you decided?" she asked.

Amrit could have stalled the answer a little longer but she didn't want to. The old woman had enough problems to deal with already.

"I could say no," Amrit said then at the look she got from her grandmother she hastily added, "but I won't," she said.

"Wise decision," beeji said and smiled, "what did the trick for you?" she asked curiously.

Amrit thought about it. Despite the initial awkwardness she had felt comfortable with him. Not even for a second did she feel insecure. He was a great guy. At least from whatever she could gather in two meetings. Decent, smart, intelligent, polite, honest, handsome like a devil. But the trick for her had been what he had said about them being best friends. She could have never thought of being in a relationship or marriage and be best friends with her partner ever. Yup that had done the trick.

"I don't have to give you any reason," she told beeji, "you call up his parents and ask them what they think. I have to pack I have a train to catch," she said and was about to get up and go when beeji placed a hand on her shoulder and she sat back down.

"They already called," beeji said with a smile, "and I have asked Kuldeep to postpone your ticket to a later train. They are coming here to discuss a few things and they want to see you," she said, "apparently it seems you made an impression on Abhay too, and by that I mean a good one," she said.

Amrit stared at her grandmother. So they had said yes that was why they were coming over why hadn't her grandmother told her this before? She gave an annoyed look to her.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Amrit asked, "And why do I need to go on a later train after all if they have to discuss details then they can meet you why is my presence required?" she asked.

"Amrit," Beeji said sternly, "did you give me an easy answer then why do you expect me to give you one? What you give others will come back to you," she said, "as for your train tickets they specifically want you to be here. Abhay is not coming but Sarla wants to talk to you about a few things and you better be at your best behavior, get it," she said, "I am done taking nonsense from every member of this family. Your parents didn't do a thing instead threw a fit and are now taking the credit of getting you fixed with someone. God knows what mistake I did to have them as members of the Vij family," she said, "had your Darji been alive he would have surely died again at the sorry state of affairs in this household," she said and shook her head, "there is Nimmi who hasn't stopped crying since the time she has come to know that the Malhotra's have said yes for you and not out of happiness lest one thinks otherwise only because the Rastogi's haven't called in to say yes yet," she said irritated, "I can only take so much. So stop giving me attitude and go and get ready and please don't wear what you wore yesterday," she said, "I didn't tell you this but both you and Kulraj were looking walking disasters and this is when Nimmi thinks she knows all about fashion and has a daughter-in-law, Harjot who runs her own boutique," she said, "now go and be ready in fifteen minutes they must be arriving in a short while."

Amrit looked at her grandmother poor thing did look haggard. She couldn't blame her. Their family was a peculiar one with some of the drama similar to the soaps one saw on television these days. They weren't really showing anything that didn't have some part of truth. She sighed and quietly left.

So her future mother in law was coming to talk to her. Damn these things were tricky. But she remembered what Abhay had said the previous day about respecting each other's families. She went to her room and changed. She wore a beautiful sea green embroidered kurta with a contrast churidaar and matching dupatta. She righted her make up a little and braided her hair properly.

She looked at herself in the mirror. This was it. Things were only going to move at a speed from here on. Would she be satisfied with the decision she had taken? She hoped so. Would she be able to give this relationship her all? She thought so. Would she be able to forget the last time she had wanted to get married and had been left disappointed and angry and move on from here? If people let her.

Amrit was no fool. She knew how her family functioned or how people around her worked. She knew the upcoming events would not be easy on her only more difficult. She hoped she found the courage to go through these things and quickly sent up a prayer. Abhay had promised to be a support to her and he better be there to do that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!