Chapter - 15

Abhay reached his parent's room and found them waiting. Jay was nowhere to be seen.

"How did it go?" Sarla asked enthusiastically.

"It went fine," Abhay remarked, "she seems to be a fine girl," he said.

"I told you didn't I," Sarla exclaimed, "she is perfect," she said, "so what have you decided?" she asked.

"Ma, before I tell you about my decision," Abhay said a little slowly, "I need to know something."

"What is that?" Sarla asked with a frown.

"She has a past too, I gathered that from whatever we have spoken about so far and that gives her the experience to understand mine but she refused to talk about it in detail," he said looking at his mother carefully, "maybe she is not ready or maybe she doesn't want to talk about it to a stranger whatever the case maybe I want to know if you have any idea about it?" he asked.

Sarla looked at Rajesh and he shrugged.

"He has a point Sarla," Rajesh said, "you discussed this extensively with me and Amrit's grandmother I think you should tell him," he advised.

Sarla took in a deep breath then looked at Abhay.

"Abhay," she said seriously, "when beeji met me the first time and spoke about a proposal for you I had told her all about you, everything, and she had done the same and after that we kept in touch to discuss this a few more times and I, she and Rajesh agreed to not tell you about it and vice versa. We wanted you to be comfortable with each other and let you talk about it. That way we were not giving either of you a tool to judge or have any kind of pre conceived notions when you met. It was a wise decision," she said with a smile. "Amrit has a past too and it is her right to tell you when she is comfortable about it. You have to understand and know this that she has multiple layers to her personality and just like you she doesn't trust easy," Sarla warned, "all I can tell you is she was engaged to be married before but it never took place and that has been very painful for her. Unfortunately instead of talking about it with other members of her family or taking it out she integrated it within herself hence her distrusting nature and strong control over how she feels," Sarla explained.

Sarla paused as she watched her son digest everything she had just told him. She hoped this wouldn't make him reconsider his decision. She had yet to talk to Amrit but after seeing her yesterday and talking to Abhay last night though he hadn't told her much but the fact he had wanted to meet her another time had satisfied her about how right Amrit was for him. She wanted her son to be happy. To become what he had been once. And she knew Amrit was up to the task.

"Look Abhay," she started again when he didn't say anything, "if everything else works for you and you like her then you shouldn't worry about her past. Don't judge her over that," she said.

"I am not judging her ma," Abhay said interrupting her mother in the middle, "hell, she didn't when I told her about mine. She is a great girl. I don't know why her marriage was called off and I know you wouldn't tell me and I understand it is her right to do that but I just hope that she doesn't let that affect her present or future with me," he said.

"Abhay," Sarla said, "it hasn't affected her in any manner. She went off to Delhi, made her career and is doing what she wants to do how do you think her past would affect her present or future with you?" she asked unable to understand what he meant.

"Ma, how long it has been," he asked.

"About five years I guess," Sarla responded wondering what he was hinting at.

"Five years ma and she is still unable to talk about it," Abhay said, "how has she moved forward," he asked.

Before Sarla could say something Rajesh said, "Fair enough Abhay," he said, "what you are saying is right but you are looking at it from your perspective. How many times have you spoken about your marriage or divorce?" he asked. "You also close up every single time refraining from talking about the details of it," he said, "because it hurt you too much. We all have different ways of dealing with things Abhay for some people talking about it helps, some cry and take it out and some internalize it. We will come back to this now tell me honestly what you think of Amrit?" he asked.

"She is a great girl dad. The clarity in her thoughts, the way she sees things, and she is sharp. That brain of hers is quite intriguing and trust me she is probably more generous than she lets on," he said honestly, "I didn't find a single thing that I could pinpoint and say this is a problem," he said.

"You know Abhay, marriage is a partnership," Rajesh said, "but you already know that. Nobody is perfect we all come with our brand of imperfections now it depends on you how you turn that imperfection to your advantage and make it a successful marriage. If you think she is not comfortable talking about what happened then you have to make her feel comfortable son. It is your responsibility. If everything is pre done what fun is life then," he said wisely.

It made more sense now that he thought about it. His dad was right. There were responsibilities that lay with him too. If she was to take care of him then the onus of taking care of her was his. He had to make her feel comfortable enough to be able to talk to him freely about how she felt, what she thought without wondering if he would understand or not. Being a best friend was a lot of work and he couldn't just say the words aloud and then not stand up to them. He felt much better.

"You are right dad," Abhay said.

"So now what?" Sarla asked pleased with her husband and how he had talked to their son.

"I guess you could go ahead with whatever the next step would be," Abhay said suddenly realizing that even if he had not had this talk with his parents he would still have gone ahead and said yes whether it was for the sake of his mother or because she was a wonderful girl it didn't matter. If he had to make this work he had to put in some effort too. And still he couldn't help but wonder if Amrit had been in love with that man? Why had her engagement broken? But they were things he could think about later.

"You mean it," Sarla asked with joy.

The happiness he saw on his mother's face and the relaxed look he saw in his father's eyes was worth everything he could have ever done. And all it had taken was a simple yes.

"Yes ma," he said with a smile, "you can call her parents and tell them about what I have decided," he said.

Sarla leapt up from her seat with a shout of joy and hugged him. He hugged his mother back then looked up at his father who was shaking his head at his wife's over enthusiastic responses. But he saw approval too. And Abhay felt content for the time being.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!