Chapter - 68

Amrit woke up and felt much better but still tired. She looked around and found Abhay sitting on the bed next to her reading a book. As she stirred he looked up from it.

"You are up," he stated.

"Yes," Amrit croaked then winced as the sudden movement of her head reminded her of her wound. It ached.

"How do you feel?" he asked as he placed a hand on her forehead to check her temperature. She was still hot but at least not burning up the way she had been before. Then she hadn't had her medicine yet.

"Worse than before," she whispered.

Abhay got up without a word and came towards her side and helped her sit up carefully. Then gave her a glass of water to drink. She took it gratefully and almost finished it.

"Don't go off to sleep now, eat something and take your medicine, okay," he said and left the room to get her some food.

Amrit turned her head slowly and looked at the bedside clock. It was close to ten. She probably hadn't slept so much in months the amount of sleeping she had done today. And it seemed she could do some more of that. She hadn't exerted herself so badly now had she? She didn't think so. The soreness in her foot was numb now but when she tried to move it she was reminded of why she shouldn't. Because the pain returned with a vengeance. She hated being sick. Abhay returned with a tray in his hands. She watched as he placed it on the bedside table. There were two dishes, two bowls, two spoons, two glasses of water, a huge bowl of soup, and two small casseroles that had lids over them.

"Why is there two of everything?" Amrit asked wondering.

"I thought you might like company while you ate," he replied quietly as he got busy pouring out soup in one of the smaller bowls and removing everything else from the tray.

Amrit was in love. There was no other name to the emotion she could give which she felt for him. It seemed to engulf her and she was drowning in the sensations that seemed to build up inside her only she was extremely happy about it. He was so considerate how could she not love him? Her admission should have staggered her but it didn't. She felt relieved actually. Maybe she had known it for some time. She had been gravitating towards it. The pull she had felt since the beginning she hadn't stood a chance. These changes that had been taking place inside her slowly. She smiled. She couldn't help it. She was happy she could finally answer all her questions with that one little word. LOVE. Though little it had profound effect. For some it was everything and liked to think she was one of them. He offered her bowl and as she took it still smiling she saw Abhay's puzzlement.

"Is something wrong?" he asked confused by the expression on her face.

She suddenly seemed to be glowing, there was a strange radiance to her smile just about this minute, and her eyes had a particular shine to them. Was something wrong? Or was it the fever? She had never looked like that before and she had never looked this beautiful not even on their wedding day when he hadn't been able to take his eyes off her.

"No, everything is just... perfect," she replied slowly and started eating.

Abhay considered what she said. He was glad in a way that she was feeling much better because he was not. He still felt the turmoil he had gone through the day and evening. It had been one hell of a day today. He had gotten worried when she had just slept on. He had tried reading a book but his mind had been preoccupied with her, anxious if the doctor had missed something. Then she had stirred and he had felt relief. He watched as she finished her soup and he spooned dal and rice for her to eat. She protested but he coaxed her to eat a little and she gave in. Once they were done eating he put the plates away and gave her the medicine.

"Why were you so angry Abhay?" Amrit asked as she gulped the tablets down.

"Who said I was?" he said and put her glass of water away.

Amrit was quiet for a while. She understood he was shutting her out. But she refused to let him.

"It was an accident Abhay," she said slowly.

"I know," he replied and still didn't look her way. She heard an underlying guilt in his voice.

"So why are you feeling guilty?" she asked.

"Amrit," he said then sighed and looked at his hands, "when I came home I didn't realize you were here. Then I thought you had gone for a walk just like yesterday. When I climbed those stairs I heard the door open and saw you come out. I...what if you had fainted? I would never have known you were home and unconscious thinking you were out and had lost track of time," he said trying to keep out his emotions but he couldn't. And she heard how he must have felt. But it was not his fault. "You could have been hurt badly, bleeding lying there and I wouldn't have known not till it might have been too late," he said and took in a deep breath. "I wasn't ready to face the possibility of anything happening to you frankly even when you had said accidents can happen all those evenings away I had still not taken it very seriously. But after today," he said and paused.

Amrit's heart went out to him. He had never sounded so unsure or under confident in himself. He had always been calm, strong and solid as a rock. He had been her anchor when she had thought she would wash away in the flow of her emotions. He had been there to stand between her and whatever came her way. Protecting her. Making her laugh. Making her feel. How could she let him be this way? Especially now that she knew she loved him.

"Abhay," she said slowly, "look at me," she said and when he did she saw how guilty he felt over this and that angered her a little. How could he possibly be responsible for what happened? "Stop being like this," she said a bit sternly, "I don't like you like this at all. When I entered that bathroom I hadn't known I would slip trying to pick up a stupid soap and hit my head. It was an accident and things like these keep happening. You can't be there every time and you are not to be blamed for this either. Had it been me instead of you, I would have thought the same? Why would I think something was wrong? We are humans not God. Things happen. There is no guarantee in future that I might not be sick again or have another accident," she said firmly, "and you can't guarantee that either so just take it how it is. Don't overthink it and feel guilty over something you had no control over, okay," she said and placed her hand on his arm.

"I was worried Amrit," Abhay said and that melted her anger away. "When I saw that blood I wasn't sure how much you were hurt," he told her, "and I understand now how you must have felt when I had got that bullet wound," he said and held her hand in his.

Amrit smiled encouragingly.

"Relax, I am fine," Amrit said trying to reassure him, "fever will reduce and so will the swelling and the little graze on my head would also heal so don't worry too much," she told him and saw him smile in an entire evening.

"I think you should rest now," he said lightly, "and sorry for being such a grumpy bear," he said.

Amrit laughed a little then felt her eyes become droopy again.

"Thank you," she whispered and Abhay drew his brows together as if he didn't understand why she was thanking her then she smiled, "for waiting up to have dinner with me," she said and Abhay swallowed the lump he felt in his throat and nodded.

"You are very welcome," he told her.

Then Abhay helped her settle down for the night and put the covers around her. She was fast asleep even before he had straightened. Abhay watched her. Then he bent and placed a light kiss on her forehead. She had definitely made him feel better. He was less worried over her now but another worry soon took over. He had to talk to her about some very important things and though she seemed to be doing fine he wasn't sure how she would take it or how she would respond. For now he decided to wait till the next day and see if her fever improved otherwise he will just have to skip the Saturday party or go alone. He picked up the tray and left the room.

Tomorrow was going to decide what he needed to do and he needed to be in full control of things and for that he needed to rest too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!