Chapter - 48

Simrit found Varun near the food stall. She wasn't too happy as she approached him. She had already met Amrit in the afternoon and the frosted look she had received from her sister had set Simrit off. Though she hadn't got any opportunity yet where she could come up with anything that would throw Amrit off her high horse. It seemed marriage had made her sister elevate to an even higher level. Every single time through the afternoon and early evening Amrit had carefully avoided her and with the presence of so many people around she had to back off. And it was irritating her to no end. For Kulraj's engagement thankfully Simrit's in laws had relented and she had shopped a few dresses but after seeing what Amrit was wearing she felt she was still outdated. Though Amrit's clothes were much simpler for the evening as compared to hers but what with Preeti deciding to wear something simple too made her look overdressed. And it had cheesed her off to no end. Must Preeti always support Amrit?

Right now after listening to a few people comment on how she looked and finding out that Amrit's husband had arrived and what a handsome pair they made she was seeing red. She stomped towards Varun. Oh, why the hell did Nimmi chachi have to invite so many people, she thought to herself?

"There you are," she said her sweet voice sounding as if she was screeching. It happened every time she raised her pitch. "I have been looking for you everywhere," she said as she reached him.

Varun turned to look at his wife. He was as it is irritated and now here she was disturbing him with one of her stupid mundane complaints. When would she understand that he needed to get the trust of his father-in-law before the new rival to his dreams obtains it for himself. He had seen the warmth as Amardeep had hugged Abhay. It was a gesture he had never extended to Varun in all of the years he had been married to Simrit.

"What do you want?" he asked rudely.

"Why are you so irritated?" Simrit complained. Lately her husband's mood had been bordering between constant irritation and anger. If he wasn't irritated he was angry and vice versa. She couldn't help but notice that it had started since the day Amrit got married. What was his problem? She had asked him several times but he had refused to give her a straight answer.

"What do you want Simrit?" he asked again this time his tone warning her to spit it out or get lost.

"Fine," Simrit said just as rudely, "why did you have to take me to a good for nothing shop? Couldn't you have taken me to a fancy shop? People are commenting on what I am wearing and you know very well I am only used to compliments," she complained.

"Really," Varun scoffed, "you spent over forty five thousand rupees for what you purchased and this is just for you cousin sister's engagement. It is not even Preeti's ceremony and still you are complaining," he said gritting his teeth, "you chose the shop, you chose the clothes. If they are too flashy then you must be losing your sense of fashion. Why complain to me? I have other important things to think about," he said rudely, "and as far as compliments go. Trust me Simrit you have lost that charm. You don't have it any more. So why would anyone compliment you? Your days are done. Now it is Kulraj's turn or even Preeti's," he said then he paused and gave a half smile, "come to think of it maybe even Amrit," he told her and saw his wife's eyes flash.

"Amrit?" she said almost losing her temper. "You must be joking? She would never come anywhere near me," she said as she crossed her arms over her bosom haughtily.

"You keep thinking that sweetheart," Varun said sarcastically. Frankly he was done with his wife's dimwit attitude. She was the dumbest woman on earth maybe beautiful but that was it. She could only spend the money he earned but every time he asked her to use that malicious little brain of hers to come up with ideas to increase their income she wouldn't give him one idea that made any sense. "Amrit has that husband of hers clearly wrapped around her fingers. You being so dense may not be able to see it but he seems to be very attentive to her. What has she done in three weeks? Think about it," Varun said knowing fully well this would hit a raw nerve with his wife.