Chapter - 49

Simrit was fuming when she saw Amrit and Abhay together. There was Preeti too. And they were all smiling and laughing. She watched them undetected as Abhay cracked a joke and Preeti laughed out loud calling him a tease. She envied the light relationship Preeti shared with Amrit's husband. And she didn't like that feeling at all. The man was nothing but a farce. He was too good to be true. It just wasn't possible. And yes, it seemed Varun was right about Amrit and him. He kept his arm around her shoulders as if she was very dear to him and Amrit, she smiled at him as if he was the only one she could see. Simrit's lips curled in distaste. Amrit did not deserve this not when she herself was so miserable. Varun had made her life hell. What had she ever seen in him to marry him? He was stingy, uncaring, selfish and rude. Oh yes, he could be charming but only when the mood suited him. That was what had attracted her towards him then and his good looks. He had been quite handsome but now he was an insult to even stand with. He had put on so much weight, still dressed as if he was twenty three and all he cared about was money. Not even his money but her father's money. This was so not fair.

On the surface they had always shown to be caring and loving towards each other which was all fine in the beginning when she had to show off in front of Amrit to prove beauty always won hands down to brains but slowly Amrit had started staying away from every occasion where she knew Varun and Simrit would be around and the pretenses had lost its appeal but they had kept it on. It was great to see others get jealous of how good their relationship was even if it was just a pretense. Though now it seemed a mistake. She should never have pretended that Varun was a great guy because one he was not and two now she couldn't suddenly turn around and say he is someone else from what everyone perceives. She was stuck and she didn't like that feeling. She watched them from where she stood.

Could it be Abhay genuinely liked Amrit? But how was that possible. Maybe there was something wrong with Abhay. She remembered what Varun had told her a few minutes ago and she smiled coldly. She had taken up a challenge to rattle Amrit out of her confidence and make sure she knew Simrit always won so she will just have to put it to execution now wouldn't she? With that she walked towards the trio.

"Hello," she said and watched with satisfaction as smiles vanished from both Preeti and Amrit's face. Abhay however kept his in place.

"Hello, Simrit," Abhay said politely, "how are you?" he said.

"Fine, just as always," she said sweetly and smiled at Abhay.

She knew Amrit was frowning. So she didn't like her talking to Abhay. Amrit was still the fool. How easily Simrit had found the weak spot in her. It seemed Abhay had softened her a bit in the past three weeks which was good news for her. In the past three years since Amrit moved away she had been getting more and more difficult to get to.

"Nobody told me you were here," Simrit said in a complaining voice, "or else I would have come greeted you earlier," she said.

Abhay raised his brows. His arm was still around Amrit and he felt her stiffen at that comment. He thought it was odd too. But he didn't say anything. Although he knew Amrit didn't like Simrit all that much and as and how he was growing to know his sister in law he was beginning to see why. He tightened his hold on Amrit to warn her to keep shut which thankfully she did.

"I am sorry Simrit," Abhay replied, "I didn't know I had to announce my presence or I would have done so," he said and smiled keeping the bite out of his jab. But she looked a little confused which indicated the meaning was lost on her. Was she that dumb? Maybe. Preeti was sweet too but the girl had brains she always knew what she was talking about. It seemed Simrit was the only one who was the oddball.

"Anyway," Simrit said keeping her smile in place, "I see Amrit hasn't offered you any snacks yet, wait I will get some for you," she said. Why wasn't it working? By now Amrit should have flipped. But though she could see her sister getting angry she refused to take the bait and that irritated Simrit to no end.

"Relax Simrit," Abhay said politely, "Amrit had made sure I had something to eat before I left for here so technically I am not really hungry besides I am part of the family I can take what I want without being treated as a guest," he told her.

"Wow," Preeti exclaimed intervening, "really jiju, di made something for you so you could eat before you came, how thoughtful," she said happily, "you seem to be having a good effect on her," she said lightly.

Abhay laughed. He liked Preeti. She was so much fun. Always trying to ease out situations that made her mature in her right too. Amrit pulled Preeti's hair playfully as she smiled. The moment Simrit had sought them out Amrit had felt tense. And she also knew what Simrit was trying to do. Goad her into doing something rash but for some reason today she did not want to engage her sister. Was it Abhay's calming effect or her trying a hand at patience? She wasn't sure which was it but she felt more victorious than ever tonight. She could see Simrit getting agitated without her saying anything. And with Abhay handling the situation well and Preeti's timely intervention Simrit was losing the battle fast. She saw Simrit tighten her jaw and the slight flare of frustration in her eyes and Amrit had to resist a smile. If Simrit hadn't done everything that she had Amrit was sure she would have loved Simrit just as much as she loved Kulraj and Preeti. Sadly that was not the case and Amrit found it difficult to forgive her sister's every deed. There were just way too many to ignore.

"But di didn't have any snacks," Preeti said as she pulled her hair out of her sister's loose grasp.

Abhay frowned as he looked at Amrit who was giving glares to her sister for spilling the beans.

"I wasn't hungry," Amrit replied, "and you know I don't eat all that much," she said defensively.

"Alright sweetheart," Abhay said firmly turning her towards the tables ladled with food. Vij's sure did have a thing for more food than anybody could eat. The food today looked as if two battalions could feast and still save some. "I think we should take Simrit's advice and eat something," he said and then looking at Simrit he said, "I hope you don't mind if we excused ourselves," and at the nod he got from his sister-in-law he gently pushed a protesting Amrit towards the snack table.

Simrit watched them go. He was so considerate and Varun. The idiot couldn't care less if Simrit was starving. Why had Amrit been so lucky as to find a man like Abhay and not her? It was just the novelty of a new marriage it would wear off. She remembered how it had been during the early days of her marriage. The affection and love had worn off to be replaced by hollowness and regret.

"I know what you are trying to do," Simrit heard Preeti say and she turned towards her younger sister.

"Really," Simrit said sarcastically, "mind your own business sister dear," she said coldly.

"No, I won't and if you want to keep that precious head of yours on your shoulders you heed the warning," Preeti said angrily as she stepped closer to Simrit, "you keep your stupid games to yourself Simrit Khullar, you have hurt Amrit and this family enough times to last us a lifetime. If you dare spoil this happy occasion for any of us and that includes di and jiju, so God help me I will kick your butt all the way to Solan," she said with gritted teeth then turned and walked off.

Simrit stared after Preeti's retreating figure. How dare she talk to her like that? How dare she warn her and walk off without receiving a fitting reply? So she was siding with Amrit. Big deal. She couldn't do a thing. When Simrit had her mind set on something nothing came in her way. And Preeti still had so much to learn. Simrit smiled coldly. Preeti will just have to bite her words now wouldn't she? Till the time she had her mother's support nobody in this house could say anything to her and her mother would always be there she knew it for a fact.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!