Chapter - 51

"What is your problem Simrit?" Amrit said tiredly. She was done with this juvenile nonsense that her sister put her through every single time.

"You," Simrit said loudly drawing attention to them in the room full of relatives.

"Are you drunk by any chance?" Amrit asked sarcastically at the drama her sister was adamant on doing today.

She watched her mother, chachi and beeji come towards them with concern on their faces. Whether it was for her or Simrit or the relatives she had no idea.

"Drunk?" Simrit said as if the word left a bad taste in the mouth. "I don't need to be drunk to talk to you. You think I am scared of you. You think you are above everyone present in this room don't you? Just because you have an extra degree you think you are superior to us? Always riding on your high horse you are such an egoist," Simrit said angrily.

"And you are a juvenile delinquent who needs to grow up," Amrit said amused with Simrit's current drama, "you really should see a psychiatrist you know," she said with a half-smile on her face, "you are turning into an obsessive shrew," she said.

Instead of shutting her up it flared her anger and Simrit refused to heed caution.

"Simrit," Roop asked gently, "what is wrong? Did someone say something to you?" she asked.

"For the record nobody did," Amrit said disgusted with her mother, "everyone is present right here she started this nonsense, but then what can be expected of her," she said.

"Amrit," beeji warned.

Amrit kept quiet. She didn't want to make mess of an already messy situation. Besides it was Kulraj's engagement tomorrow. With so many relatives here it would give them a month's load of gossip if not more.

"Simrit, go back to your room," beeji ordered.

"Why should I?" Simrit said haughtily, "Ask her to go away. You always side with her. What hold does she have over you? She didn't even get married till last month. She doesn't care for anybody and yet you always worry for her," Simrit accused.

Amrit had had enough. She had always kept quiet. But not this time. If Simrit wanted to have a fight she will give her one. She was done taking insults and injuries every single time. This was too much.

"And you care," Amrit said her anger rising, "so let me ask you. If I don't have anything going for me what is it that you have that makes you so special?" she asked.

"You can't even begin to understand what I have," Simrit said smiling arrogantly, "have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror," she said and a hush fell over everyone but Simrit was beyond caring she was so far gone in her jealousy and insecurities she couldn't distinguish between right or wrong any more. Why should Amrit be happy if she was not? "The dark horse of the family, awkwardly tall, strangely built you look as if you don't belong with any of us," she said and someone gasped but Amrit did not have time to see who it was, "and you have airs about you. Look at me or Preeti or Kulraj we are all pretty, with delicate builds, every boy who ever came to see you wanted to marry me. They didn't want to get married to you. Why do you think I am mummy's favorite," she said uncaring if she was hurting ten others in the room, "because I am so good to look at," she said.

Amrit didn't know what to say to someone like her. It hadn't hurt all that much just a little. It was the truth and she already knew that but to actually hear her say it made her sad. But she decided to not give in.

"I know," Amrit said her voice dripping of sarcasm, "what you are saying is something I have always known," she said and heard her mother gasp this time, "but aren't you a little old to play the tantrum card or maybe you never grew up. And yes, the boys who did come to see me liked you better because every boy wants a pretty no brainer who he can handle, what men like is something else and I married a man not a boy," she said with just as much arrogance.